1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games Freezing!!! Oh no!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tasty Danish, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tasty Danish

Tasty Danish Thread Starter

ok kids, i need some help on this.
    some games i try to run end up freezing within a couple of minutes whenever i try to play.
    the culprets include:

soldier of fortune platinum (single player)
    soldier of fortune 2 double helix (single player)
    natural selection (half life multiplayer)
    day of defeat (half-life multiplayer)

the screen just freezes and whatever sound was playing at the time repeats itself over and over. the computer accepts no input (ctrl alt delete, esc, etc.). and i am left with no choice but cold boot.
    maybe my poor man's system just isnt nice enough. its a laptop my bro sold to me for a good deal (it was not abused in its past life). it is a toshiba tecra 8100. its got a 800mhz processor and 256mb pc100 ram. the video card is 8mb s3 savage.

my past laptop (dell latitude cpx 500mhz, ati rage pro card, 256mb ram) played the games without freezing.

would an upgrade to 512mb of ram help at all?

Please someone help!

2. Tasty Danish

by the way, my os is xp

3. McTimson

McTimson

Well, I'm surprised the Soldier of Fortune games even run at all with that video card. The Half-Life ones should run, though.

Make sure you get the latest updates for your drivers. When the games stop, is it always at a certain point? Like right when a lot of things start to appear on the screen? It could be an overheating problem, make sure the fans in the laptop are free of dust.

4. Tasty Danish

yeah those 8mb cards really suprise me, my drivers should all be up to date, but i just thought of something:
    s3 drivers stopped coming out along time ago, but the ati drivers may be more upto date (seeing as how thats a real video card)
    do you think the s3 could just be too old? course maybe its just me leaving my comp. on to download games and stuff.
    and its not usually at any particular time. dod freezes at random and sof tends to freeze less once the game starts. movies are hell tho.

5. McTimson

McTimson

Well, the fact that it's too old probably has something to do with it. Leaving the conmputer on shouldn't have anything to do with it, as long as you restart before you play the games.

6. WarC

WarC

Defrag. Always does a computer good.

One of the bad things about laptops is you can't really do much about major problems...Your basically limited to software fixes, because even if you do manage to crack the thing open without breaking the plastic, theres only so many things you can add and replace inside it.

That said, I think your problem may lie in your RAM.

Even though you have 256MB, it being PC-100 is a reeeaal killer. I'm not sure about costs to upgrade laptop RAM, but it shouldn't be too outrageous. 512MB of PC-133 would do well towards solving your problems, I should think.

All those games are sending and receiving information from RAM constantly, and PC-100 is a real bottleneck. It is probably what is causing all that stuttering and freezing.

7. Tasty Danish

i appreciate all this help but one thing i dont understand is that my old laptop had the same amount and type of ram, but it never froze. any ideas, or do you think it was that ati video card that saved it?

8. McTimson

McTimson

The video card could have helped it, was it the 8MB version? Oh, and make sure you turn down all the graphics settings. If you haven't already, that should help out a lot.

9. WarC

WarC

If RAM and everything was the same then its the videocard...I wasn't sure if your old laptop was PC-133 or PC-100 RAM or not, since you didn't specify.

The ATI Rage Pro would kill the S3 Savage. Kill it like a dog! (y)

So thats your problem. And unfortunately, since its a Laptop, there is no way to upgrade it.

10. Tasty Danish

would getting more ram help at all? or is the s3 beyond help?

11. McTimson

McTimson

Getting more RAM *may* help, but probably not much. The video card is definitely holding you back.

12. Tasty Danish

i believe i fixed my problem (as good as its gonna be fixed at least) it seems that for some reason, my virtual memory was set to a pathetically low level, so bumped it up, and... viola: not only does dod (for instance) not freeze, but it runs great at 1024 resolution. thanks for all your suggestions.

13. McTimson

McTimson

You can get DoD at 1024x768 with a 8MB graphics card? Wow, congratulations.

14. EmXtrix

EmXtrix

Strange. I have an 800 MHz machine (also with awful video card) and I get the exact same problem on random games.

15. lblackdust

lblackdust

how do you set virtual memory?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/143524

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice