1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games freezing while playing

Discussion in 'Games' started by B3aSt, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B3aSt

B3aSt Thread Starter

I am a pretty intense gamer and have recently been having some problems with gaming. Up untill this week, I have been playing with an ATI Radeon X700 pro. I decided that it was time for an upgrade and I went with the NVIDIA 8800GTS 320bit Graphics Card. With this came a new 500 watt power supply, compares to my old 350 watt. When I started gaming with this new set up I have been freezing in the middle of games. My whole computer locks up, I cant move my mouse, minimize or do anything. I'm forced to restart the computer. I play games such as Battlefield 2, WoW, Call of Duty, and Age of Empires 3. I play a wide variety of games and have never once ran into this problem untill I installed my new card and PSU. At first I thought it may have been over heating but I messed with my fan speeds and the temp of the card idles at around 57-60 degrees C which is pretty basic for a card like this. I dont know if maybe I got a bad video card or what but any help is appreciated.

And if you want to know my other specs:
    200gb Hard Drive
    2gigs of ram
    AMD Athlon 3500 processor

Thanks in advance

2. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

First of all check if driver updates are available...

About your new PSU. What is the +12v rail amperage it provides? What make/model is it?

Does your graphics card require external power supply from the PSU or it feeds directly from the PCI-E bus? In the first case make sure you have connected the PSU molex to the card.

Is it possible to find out the amperage of the +12V rail of your PSU? Is it lower than 18A? It is usually found on it's label or in your documentation.

3. B3aSt

B3aSt Thread Starter

I have the 6 pin PCI-E power connector hooked in for extra power.

The amperage is 18A.

4. Mosquito555

Mosquito555

Usually 18A would be enough for most systems. But as long as your card needs an external connector it is possible that it requires 20A or more. I've heard of 7600gt cards that need 20A, think of your 8800...I'm not suggesting buying a new power supply but it's really worth checking it. If you could borrow one with 20A output we could know for sure...Check those links:

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/Geforce-8800-GTS-320MB-Power-Requirements-ftopict232880.html
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2870&p=18
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=39313

I cannot comment the accuracy of what those people say but it's a clue after all. :)

Also please include your PSU's make and model in your next thread. You can also move the thread to hardware forums just to let more people see it. ;)

5. B3aSt

B3aSt Thread Starter

Thanks, my PSU is an Antec basiq 500w

I'll try n post it in the hardware forums. Thanks for the help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590474

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice