1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games Freezing XP

Discussion in 'Games' started by schadam, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schadam

schadam Thread Starter

Ok i'll explain first of all the problem and then what i have tried so far to correct it.

Basically the games i have playing run perfectly for 10 - 40 mins and then it locks up, sometimes with the sound looping, sometimes without, forcing me to reboot. Example of games this has happened in, KOTOR, CS, Raven Shield.

Ok now for what i've tried attempting to resolve this issue.

1. Update all drivers on my system. (Problem still occurs).
    2. Re-installed XP with sp1/sp2 and without. (Problem still occurs).
    3. Disabled Sound-Card (Problem still occurs).
    4. Used MemTest program to check for faulty ram, ran fine with no errors.
    5. Lowered Hardware Acceleration. (Now when i lowered this i was able to play KOTOR on certain levels, anywhere else the games fps went to low).
    6. Used various Nvidia drivers, using drivercleanerpro inbetween installing them. (Problem still occurs).

System:
    2.6 ghz p4
    512 DDR RAM
    Nvidia GeForce FX 5700 Ultra
    Windows XP

Any suggestions will be much apperciated. Ive been playing around for weeks now, its really starting to get to me.

Thanks

2. Maritimesea

Maritimesea

If you have done all that, especially reinstalling windows, and the problem persists I would say it is hardware. Also especially since you are experiencing this problem with every game you try, right? What about heat issues? All fans running good? Including the power supply fan? Have you overclocked? Since you indicated lowering the video hardware acceleration made a difference, albeit a small one, I would suspect something is wrong with the video card. Did you install anything hardwarewise lately? Let us know what happens if you get it fixed.

3. schadam

schadam Thread Starter

Sorry forgot to mention, i put some new fans into my pc for cooling, my gfx card never goes above 37C now and my cpu stays around 45 - 50C. Oh and the reason i dont think its a hardware problem is that i can HL2 without any problems and Cs Source. I played HL2 single player through to the end without any problems. And no i haven't installed anything hardware wise lately.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Confirm - you can play HL2 on FULL accerelation?

5. schadam

schadam Thread Starter

yes with full acc

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Check the DirectX tests for the video.

7. BannerGuy

BannerGuy

What is the current versions of DirectX and open GL you are using? And which one are you using to play games with?

8. schadam

schadam Thread Starter

Running Direct X 9.0c: all tests came back fine.

And im running opengl 1.5.2.

KOTOR runs opengl graphics i think, it also uses direct x, not sure what for.

9. schadam

schadam Thread Starter

anyone else got some ideas for me?

10. schadam

schadam Thread Starter

Ok i ran drwtsn32 and found these two crash logs, anyone willing to take a look at them and tell me what it means? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

11. vesselle

vesselle

when you tried the different driver versions, did you clean up thoroughly?
    ghost drivers can make gaming a living hell.

kotor has been reported as being very capricious and buggy. you didn't mention if you patched it or not. also, is it kotor1 or 2? also, your checksums aren't working for mss32.dll on kotor. that i believe is a sound issue, which could be the root of your problems.

there is a program that i heard of that will allow you to update/change your mss32.dll... let me root around to find it. i used it on a coupla of my old games that would install but not play.

what happens with the other games? the exact same thing?

V***V

12. schadam

schadam Thread Starter

this is kotor 1 btw, and yeh exact same thing happens on other games.
    Yeh i used driver cleaner pro when installing new drivers and yes ive been running the 1.03 ver of kotor 1. Thanks for the help, ill await your reply with that program.

13. vesselle

vesselle

okay, the proggy is called "deshrinker"... it replaces the mss32.dll
    and the instructions are a bit on the foggy side :(
    i'm giving you the instructions, as detailed as i can.
    i've used it successfully in the last year or so for 4 or 5 different games. i'm sorry, but kotor1 wasn't one of them.

here's where i found my copy of it:
    deshrinker 1.6

basic install instructions, being as specific as i can:

~if you're running Windows XP, go make a restore point on your computer. it never hurts to be safe.
    ~download Deshrinker version 1.6
    ~put the whole thing in a folder named "Deshrinker" in the main folder of your game (lucasarts)
    ~click the "Deshrinker.exe"
    ~a window will open
    ~in the top left space called "Filename (input)", click the button with the picture of an open folder next to it.
    ~a box called "open shrinked file" will show
    ~it shows the Deshrinker folder in the "look in" box
    ~change that by clicking the drop down arrow to the right and finding your way to your LucasArts folder, then to your KotOR folder
    ~you'll see it's only looking for "exe" files... so change that by clicking the drop down arrow and change it to look for "dll" files
    ~by doing that, you'll now see "mss32.dll"
    ~click it, so that it shows in Deshrinker. now, in the Deshrinker window, "mss32.dll" shows in the first box on the upper left
    ~next, you have to fill the "Filename (output)" box, directly to the right of your "mss32.dll" box
    ~click the button to the right of the box (a pic of red arrow pointing down on a folder or something)
    ~you get another box called "output deshrinked file"
    ~now you need to do the almost the same for this one as you did for the first one
    ~it should auto open to your KotOR folder
    ~change it so that it's looking for "dll's", just like the first one
    ~go thru the KotOR folder and find the same "mss32.dll" you found for the other box
    ~IMPORTANT! once it's displaying "mss32.dll" in the second box, manually go into it and erase the ".dll" part of it. it should only show "mss32" in that box
    ~OK :)
    ~pause, take a deep breath and relax, you're almost there
    ~go down to the white check box on the left, halfway down in the box... "unpack Shrinker 3.4" and check it
    ~go to the big old "Decompress" button at the very bottom.
    ~click that button and in a few moments, it should be done.
    ~that's all, folks.

you're finished with the Deshrinker application. close it, if it doesn't close on it's own.
    head over to your KotOR folder, where the original dll file was stored.
    you should now see TWO DLL files(count, em... 2): the new "mss32.dll" (approx 300 kb) and "MSS32.DLL" (sorry :( i don't have KotOR currently installed -just KotOR2, so i don't remember the size of the DLL).

anyway... more importantly...
    notice the difference in how the filenames are capitalized? good.

the "MSS32.DLL" is your ORIGINAL KotOR file that's giving you problems. rename it so you know it's the original and so the game won't look for it.

(note: i keep it in the same folder, so i know where it is. you know, just because i'm anal i guess :D and rename it "MSS32.DLL.OLD"... that's how i know it's the original. the important thing is to name it something other than ".DLL", so that the game doesn't keep trying to use it, but you can recover it if needed.)

make sure the new, improved one remains where it is and is now named "mss32.dll". notice also that it's about 300KB in size. i guess that's the good stuff that'll help you get your game working.

reboot and restart the game.
    you should be able to play now.

phew! after all that, i really hope it helps you out.

V***V

14. schadam

schadam Thread Starter

hey, sorry to inform that it didn't work. After a bit more playing and thinking, i believe that this is in an opengl issue. As after checking which games are crashing its only games that render opengl gfx. I just played WoW which D3D game and it runs perfect for an unlimited amount of time. I've attached a screenshot which shows 3 opengl32.dll's, could these be conflicting? if not, anyone got any other ideas?

Attached Files:

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/351554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice