1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games Freezing

Discussion in 'Games' started by rom10-9, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rom10-9

rom10-9 Thread Starter

I currently upgraded my computer and am running a 1.3 Ghz processor and the temp is 102 degrees, 512 MB ram 32 MB video card, Win XP Home and my daughters games go about 5 mins and freeze. She has 3 separate games and they all do it. I'm puzzled because they never did this before the upgrade and the people that did the upgrade don't know either. I downloaded a new driver for the video card and that didnt help. I turned off my McAfee virus scan and that didnt help either. I have several fans so I dont think it's over heating. Besides that I only had one fan before and a 800 Mgz processor and the games ran fine. You are my last resort so ANY help would be so greatly appreciated :)

2. Akito

Akito

What kind of processor?

Also, what O/S are you running?

3. RSM123

RSM123

rom10-9,

Welcome to TSG.

Though you say its not likely to be overheating, you might check that all the fans (and the power supply) are clear of dust, and that the fans are definitely functioning properly. The temp you quoted - 102 Degrees, if you mean Centigrade ... that could spell the end of your processor and motherboard. I believe that any temp over 60 C is very serious.

However if I have misunderstood - and you mean Fahrenheit, then thats more than adequate :)

In that event :

You might also, if you have not, reboot the pc in safe mode and run a full Scan Disk and then Defrag.

Regards your Ram ... it a single stick or 2 x 256 ? If its a single stick, can you possibly acquire (just for testing) another stick of Ram from elsewhere and see if the pc does the same thing ? If you have two sticks, boot the pc with each individually and see if either operating alone allows you to run the game without any further errors. Also try the sticks in different slots to see if it boots ok.

4. rom10-9

rom10-9 Thread Starter

Thank you for your help....It;s a AMD Duron 1.3 Ghz that's all I know. I'm running Win XP Home for my O/S :)

5. rom10-9

rom10-9 Thread Starter

Ok I'll try what your saying and get back with ya Thanks :) Do u think running Memtest 86 will help?????

6. RSM123

RSM123

rom10-9,

Never used that utility myself - though by all means give it a try. At the very least it may help rule out that as the source of your problem.

I think you can get a Ram Tester here also :

http://www.simmtester.com

7. rom10-9

rom10-9 Thread Starter

I'm not sure how to use these memory testers. The instructions seem complicated. I did however remove one of the chips and I ran the game with no problem, so I switched slots and ran the game and it froze but intermittently so I think I have a bad chip. If someone could explain how to run a memory test I would appreciate it??? Thanks

8. RSM123

RSM123

9. rom10-9

rom10-9 Thread Starter

OK I'm trying....Thanks for all your help :)

10. rom10-9

rom10-9 Thread Starter

OK I'm back I had the computer in the shop to test the RAM and it is fine but my games are still freezing up.....I'm running a 1.3 Ghz processor AMD Duron, 512 mg of RAM, MSI mother board ( Micro-Star International Co. LTD MS-6738, Bus Clock 100mgz., Windows XP Home and like I stated earlier I just upgraded all of this and before I upgraded the games were fine. Now about 2mins into it it freezes and I have to reboot. ANY help would be appreciated....Thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223233

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice