1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games Freezing

Discussion in 'Games' started by jmason, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jmason

jmason Thread Starter

Kids games always freezing . Starwars Episode I Racer, Hot Wheels crash the Shockwave site games. (Of course the educational games work fine.) My boys get so frustrated, and I don't know how to fix it. I don't know what graphics card I have or how to find out. Have an IBM Aptive about 2.5 years old.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hello... without knowing what you have ...
    My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

for a free virus scanner you can add to your system... go get AVG. Click here to download AVG

and to protect yourself from hackers etc... Get Zone Alarm
    Click here the free version is fine

then there is spyware ... go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

scan & defrag

this should get you in pretty good shape

Savvy :)

cleanup http://www.piersontech.com/07-CleanHardDrive.htm

also uncheck any items you absolutely do not need to boot up when you turn the PC on.... do this by typing msconfig in run, click ok & go to startup... aplly after & reboot.

3. brianF

brianF

You can check this site for the starwars game, lots of troubleshooting options.
    http://support.lucasarts.com/trg/tg.asp?id=84&x=101&y=10#SECTION7

Updating video drivers and directx would help. use control alt delete to shutdown any programs running in the background to avoid conflicts, just leave explorer and systray running.

do a scandisk and defrag

4. Rockn

Rockn

You need to check the documentation and the system requirements on the retail box when you are shopping and make sure your system meets or exceeds thos minimal requirements. There is a utility called SiSoft Sandra you can buy that will tell you everything you need to know about your system...eithere that or pull the manual out of mothballs

5. brianF

brianF

6. Randy48

Randy48

Here's a place to start IBM Aptiva Just plug in the information about your computer and it should tell you what's on the inside.

From your explaination of the problem, it is more then likely not enough memory/system resources.

Some good house keeping, i.e. delete old files, empty your temp directory, cookies, temporary internet, etc. and then defrag the drive. This helps system performance all around! After you're finished, reboot the machine and see what happens.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice