1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games Freezing

Discussion in 'Games' started by freddyonfire, Dec 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. freddyonfire

freddyonfire Thread Starter

Hey guys, I recently bought a computer for the sole purpose of being able to play current games, and I did quite well. The specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs)
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285

etcetc... Not a bad PC by any means. It gets the job done.... Or used to.

These days I can barely ever play games. I used to be able to play Call of Duty Moden Warfare 2 with no problems. Now the second I enter a game, the graphics will freeze up on me. I know it's only the graphics because I can still ctrl+alt+del, and the sound will continue going. When I try to play Champions Online, I can sometimes play for hours without it freezing, and sometimes it will happen moments after logging in.

I remember blue screening once out of the perhaps 30 or so times it's done it, and a couple times I've gotten an error stating:

"The nv4_disp display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft."

This has been happening for about 2 weeks now, and the things I've tried are unplugging my video card and plugging it into another slot, unplugging and plugging my RAM back in, updating the drivers to the latest ones, rolling the drivers back to previous "stable" builds, adjusting audio settings (which apparently could have something to do with it...?) All of these things were things suggested by people when I tried to google this problem, and as such nothing I've tried has worked. I also know that my card isn't overheating, because it seldomly goes higher than about 80*C.

This is really bugging me, a brand new computer should not have these types of problems. Does anyone have any suggestions about what I could do to remedy this situation?

Thanks for reading, and thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have. :(

2. BG-0

BG-0

Motherboard, case and power supply models please. Models, not just "something like what it is"

3. freddyonfire

Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R

Coolermaster Real Power Pro 650Watt. PSU

@Lian Li PC-60B Black Tower Case without PSU

I assume that's the 3 you asked for.. I'm not positive, please take note of my "beginner" status, haha, I just copied it from my purchase invoice. ;3

4. BG-0

BG-0

I would mostly suspect either your power supply or graphics card. You current power supply can only deliver 540 watts of actual power, and that's quite scarce for such a high end rig. Take them (graphics+PSU) to a friend's computer if possible (preferably with a similar CPU too, so that the total power consumption nearly matches), see if games run well without the freezes... If not, you've made sure it's either one. If you want to be 100% certain, run Prime95 with the Small FFTs test and Furmark with Extreme GPU burning mode instead of games so that you create a full load on both, thus reaching the highest possible power consumption suitable for this kind of troubleshooting.
    If you find that indeed either or both are faulty, proceed to get a better power supply first. At least 600+ watts of actual power output (Corsair 650TX, OCZ StealthXtream 700, etc etc) from a high quality brand, test again...

5. freddyonfire

Being able to take out my graphics card and PSU and test them in another machine isn't much of an option for me.. I did try running the stress test though, and left it over night. Was still green in the morning, however I did leave Champions Online open overnight to let the patch download, and the login screen had frozen when I came back in the morning. :/

6. peck1234

peck1234

please go to nvidia.com and download the latest drivers for your card...

Your power-supply is more than sufficient...

7. freddyonfire

As stated in my original post, I already have.

8. peck1234

peck1234

like BG-0 stated, it's most likely a faulty graphic card or pci slot...

If your under warranty get your self another...

9. BG-0

BG-0

Which mentioned stress test did you use? Or both?

10. freddyonfire

Prime95... All. Night. Long. ;)

11. BG-0

BG-0

That stresses the CPU, and you're most probably facing a graphics card fault. Run Furmark.
    If Furmark doesn't crash, run both stress tests at the same time, that will strain the power supply more.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/884348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice