1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games go blank then my system reboots

Discussion in 'Games' started by imsharkbait, Apr 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. imsharkbait

imsharkbait Thread Starter

Okay so I'm running Windows XP with a Radeon 9600 series graphics card and my drivers are all up to date. But it seems every time I try and play WoW or NWN2, I get into the game then my screen will go black and return with fuzzy resolution or my system will reboot. Frankly, I'm getting annoyed because I enjoy my games and get upset when I can't play them. The same thing also happened when I played the Original NWN. Any help in fixing my problem would be greatly appreciated.

2. Nebastion

Nebastion

Any signs of overheating??
    Download and Install CUPID HW monitor Just to See what your Temps are like.

Hopefully its just a driver issue;

Click on Start and then Control Panel.
    1. Click on the Performance and Maintenance link.
      Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simple double-click on the System icon and proceed to Step 4.
    2. In the Performance and Maintenance window, click on the System icon near the bottom of the window.
    3. In the System Properties window, click on the Hardware tab.
    4. With the Hardware tab selected, click on the Device Manager button.
    Now when you get here what we are looking for is anything that has a little YELLOW EXCLAMATION mark beside it as shown in the picture below.

[​IMG]

Regards
    Neb.

3. imsharkbait

None of my drivers need to be updated. Although, overheating might be the cause. How would I know if my card was overheating?

4. Nebastion

Nebastion

That first download link i gave you ( CUPID HW monitor) thats a program that shows the temperatures of individual parts of your System, eg the processor the Graphix card and so on.
    Its a very small program, Just install it, and start it and you will see your temps,

So what we want to do is, see what your temps are like when theres no load on your system, then do as much as possible, to put load on your computer, like open office and solitare and a browser etc...
    Then look at the temps.

If your feel you can, have a look inside the case, and see if there's much or any dust around the heat sinks and fans. dust is BAD, if there is dust you can get a can of compressed air and just blow the dust out of the case, Personally i hoover mine out WITH EXTREME CAUTION of course, but you will know yourself what to do. just don't hit off things...you know......

I can find you some guide lines to follow to aid assist you on opening your case if you feel you need it.
    Or just post back and ask.

Good luck hope fully its just an overheating issue that easliy solved.

How old is your system?

5. imsharkbait

Okay, so I opened her up and man was I surprised. Not exactly sure what more of the hardware was but there was a lot of dust on everything. I don't have acess to compressed air and I don't trust myself to use a vacuum on the parts since I know they are sensitive. Are there any suggestions on what I can do to clean my PC. And to answer your last question, my system is about 10 years old. I first built it for my 16th birthday under the supervision of my oldest brother and i'm 26 now, so she's about 10 years old.

6. imsharkbait

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
    Scan saved at 2:04:49 AM, on 20/04/2010
    Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Unable to get Internet Explorer version!
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
    C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avshadow.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\RunDll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\Program Files\USB TV\EM28XX\BDARemote.exe
    C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
    C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe
    C:\Program Files\CPUID\HWMonitor\HWMonitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie\jqs_plugin.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avgnt] "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [OM2_Monitor] "C:\Program Files\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master 2\FirstStart.exe" /OM
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [OM2_Monitor] "C:\Program Files\OLYMPUS\OLYMPUS Master 2\MMonitor.exe" -NoStart
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ccleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\ccleaner.exe" /AUTO
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O4 - Global Startup: BDARemote.lnk = ?
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Scheduler (AntiVirSchedulerService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\sched.exe
    O23 - Service: Avira AntiVir Guard (AntiVirService) - Avira GmbH - C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avguard.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: Java Quick Starter (JavaQuickStarterService) - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jqs.exe

--
    End of file - 3636 bytes
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's what i'm running. Hope it helps.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    I would also say video card is starting to go out... I would strongly suggest getting some can of air, and to confirm the overheating, use a fan and point it to your machine (if possible)

8. Satchelmouth

Satchelmouth

Be careful to by computer friendly air dusters as the wrong kind can damage your components:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Misc/Q_25123539.html
    Also I think your graphics card may be on its last legs or overheating as Nebastion said. Try a gpu benchmark program and post the results (framerate gpu core temps etc) back here.
    Satch

9. Nebastion

Nebastion

If you have the ability to build it you should be able to clean it, understand im not being smart by saying that im just saying that dont be affraid to hoover out the dust, just dont touch of things.
    Here are Two videos showing how to do it.
    Heres ONE
    And TWO

Just to give you an idea, there are more on you tube. You could also google it, im sure its been discussed over the web. Hoovering is just what I would do, \
    If your gonna use a cloth of anykind make sure its an anti statick one.

Also did you get a chance to install CUPID HW monitor ?
    Like Satch was saying, Be intresing too see your temps. If this continues your card will just overheat and fail.

Good luck,

Neb.

10. Satchelmouth

Satchelmouth

If its really dusty give it a clean. I just cleaned out my old gpu heatsink and replaced it with a new zalman one and got a 20 degree drop in idle temperature :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice