1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games keep crashing after the first time I play them

Discussion in 'Games' started by 9thcircle, Aug 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 9thcircle

9thcircle Thread Starter

After I download a game on steam, or anywhere, I can only play it once, and then it crashes. I've checked my graphics drivers and they're updated fine. My laptop is an asus rog zx50vw-ms71. It has an Intel i7, nvidia 960m, 8gb of ram, and 1 tb of storage. Thank you all in advance

2. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
    Those are not bad specs, should be able to run fine.
    Lets try something easier first:
    1. Open steam and then go to steam settings
    2. Click on downloads tab
    3. Clear Download Cache, click ok, it will log you out
    4. Log back in and see if that helped
    Do you have antivirus software such as avast? Maybe try disabling or uninstalling it temporarily to see if that helps. Check task manager while you play too. I know Win10 updates can be pretty aggressive and cause problems.

Do you by chance have any fps counter programs? If you do, disable or remove those and see if that helps.

3. 9thcircle

9thcircle Thread Starter

Thank you, that helped but I think my graphics card us messed up, because the nvidia control panel also keeps crashing

4. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
    That is good, and okay yes it is definitely your graphics card. Maybe try this:
    1. Go to search, type msconfig, go to services
    2. check anything related to nvidia
    3. Especially check "Nvidia Geforce Experience Service" and "Nvidia Display Driver Service"
    4. see if that helps

5. AmateurJohn

AmateurJohn

First Name:
    AmateurJohn
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice