1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games keep freezing & crashing.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kashin, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kashin

Kashin Thread Starter

I've had this problem for a long time, and I'm not the only one.
    If anyone could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

When I run games, I crash. When exactly varies, sometimes I can play games for quite a while without a problem, otherwise I crash out pretty much as soon as I start playing.

Unfortunately, there's a number of 'types' of crashes. For example:
    1. The game screen freezes for a few seconds, gets minimized, and displays a driver failure message.
    2. The game freezes and simply closes.
    3. The game freezes to a single color, with sound looping sometimes, and other times it simply goes quiet.
    4. The screen goes black, and a 'HDMI / DVI Signal Lost' (obviously dependant on what I happen to be using -- I've tried multiple) message gets displayed, with my monitor powering down, only to power up again and either present me with my game crashed, or still running fine.

In the time I've had this problem, I've replaced my power feed, my graphics card (twice), and my motherboard. I've done a full reinstall as well as ran multiple tests on both my RAM and HDs, all of which returned no errors. All drivers are up-to-date.

I'm running Windows 7 64bit, on an Asus P5Q SE Plus motherboard, Q6600 CPU, OCZ600SXS power feed, two Samsung HD502IJ HDs and a DVD drive. The GPUs I've had this problem with were the AMD 5850, 9600GT and now the AMD 6950 HD.

I've tried two different HDMI cables, and one DVI cable. I've replaced the cable on the power feed, as well as different wall sockets / extension cords.

I'm at a loss.

2. FlightSimGuy

FlightSimGuy

Is your game compatable for Windows XP or Windows 7?
    This might be the cause.

3. Kashin

Kashin Thread Starter

Thank you for replying. Yeah, it's a long-running problem, during which time I ran dozens of games, high-end and low-end, all leading to the same problem.

4. FlightSimGuy

FlightSimGuy

Ok,so do you require to have the disk in your CD drive during gameplay?

5. Kashin

Kashin Thread Starter

It seems to have been fixed by disabling the internal audio through BIOS.
    I needed to buy a new soundcard anyway, so this works out great.

Thanks for replying!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice