1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games keep freezing....HELP

Discussion in 'Games' started by bunsy78, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bunsy78

bunsy78 Thread Starter

I have a Pentium 4 256MB 12X cd-rw 32MB Nividia GeForce2 MX graphics card. Any time I play any of my games, after about 5 minutes, the games seem to freeze or go very very slow, and it does that for about 1 minute, then it snaps out of it and gameplay is normal. Then, about every 3 or 4 minutes, it keeps doing this. It is really wrecking gameplay. I have updated drivers and gone into msconfig and changed the way the comp starts up. Nothing seems to work. The red light goes on on my CPU when this is happening. It almost seems that there is another process running that is interfering with the performance. I run Windows XP. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. binkeybotox

binkeybotox

Open the case and check all of your fans are working because it might be that its heating up a little too fast.

3. bunsy78

bunsy78 Thread Starter

Hi there, I am so sorry but I am a little computer illiterate. How would i go about taking off the "case"? I have never done that before, the only thing i have really taken off was the fan cover on the back to vacuum the fan and get dust out. Thx

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You say the "red light" goes on on your "cpu"? Do you mean the hard drive light or the CD light by any chance?

It sounds like these games need to load files from the drive, perhaps because when installing they (or you) took a "minimum" install option. 32mb video card is not really adequate for most recent video games. Are you sure you meet the games minimum if not "recommended" requirements?

Also if you have an antivirus program running in the background it might be well to "disable" it before starting a game.

I'd also suggest you post a HijackThis scanlog showing the typical programs and processes running before you start a game:

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

5. phatmattrat

phatmattrat

I would definetely get a better video card and more RAM if possible. Its bottlenecking your Pentium 4.

6. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Yeah I would deffinetly get more RAM. With XP you should have at least 512MB RAM for running Games.
    BTW. What games are running are you runnig?

7. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

Yeah, first I would think it is good to know what games. Do you have the latest versions?

Most games will play with this system, just not very well.

My first thought is that your HDD is failing, or getting too hot, like binkeybotox said. When it reaches this point, it is probably dead. I would be willing to bet money on it.

8. mittens2000

mittens2000

the exact thing happens to me. I posted about it while ago. I didn't pursue it because my compl had momentarily stopped doing that. But, now it does it again, do exactly as described above, and even on games that used to work perfectly.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/201886

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice