Solved Games Minimizing to Desktop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

IamPotato

First Name
Ryan
Hello, so out of nowhere my computer has decided its time to throw a little annoyance my way. When I am playing full screen games via steam, namely Awesomenaughts (not tried others) I get random minimizes back to the desktop and there is no noticeable interruptions, pop ups, errors, updates etc. I can then click the icon and continue with my game, although I'm usually dead, which is why its so annoying.

This is a new problem. My PC has ran like a charm since I got it last year.

1. I thought maybe I was pressing something to go back to desktop? Windows key takes me to the app side of windows 8 so its not that. Also, I left the game running when I left the room and I came back and it had minimized.

2. Tried checking task manager for suspicious activity but nothing. Used CCleaner, MalwareBytes, AVG scan and a windows scan for some malicious stuff but found zilch as I'm usually pretty up to speed.

3. I tried a program called driver booster to update my drivers. Some performance increased (I think) but the minimizing still occurs.

4. Things I've done recently... I did update Java, as its forever popping up with an update in my taskbar (I thought this was causing the minimizing but nope.) Updated Adobe as that was asking as well. Plugged in a friends printer to do some emergency printing for an exam. I also deleted a few old games and programs like cam studio and debut video capture.

5. Runs fine in windowed mode with no minimizing. I was worried about clicking out of the game window during fast paced action but the game prevents this so its not so bad but I'd still like to get back to using full screen.

6. Updated DirectX, still minimizes.

I really don't know what to try next guys. I'm at the end of my computer know how and I need more suggestions. It must be something stealing focus right? I just cant find out whats causing it.

Help, will pay with eternal gratitude!

IamPotato

First Name
Ryan
Ok, forced to reply to my own post as the edit button seems to have magically disappeared on me?

7. I thought maybe it was a loose connection to something like my audio cables or something daft like that so I turned off, unplugged everything and plugged it back in one by one. Apart from getting my front left speaker to work again (hadn't noticed it wasn't) the minimize still happens.

What is going on... what to try next? Must be someone with a few suggestions out there... even if its "Dangle your monitor out of the window by the cable," - because at this point I'd try anything.

Welcome to TSG (y)

You have tried many things, I too am stumped.
Have you tried other games? non steam games.
For testing you can disable your antivirus and any other scanners, play for a bit and see if any change. Just remember to put them back on if you venture back on the internet.

my thought is a notification box popping up from your AV as it scans files in use.

IamPotato

First Name
Ryan
Hey super D thanks for the reply!

So, I'd not really given much thought about AVG as I've been using it forever and never had these problems... but I have had trouble with protection causing issues in the past so thought I'd give it a go.

8. Disabled AVG temporarily whilst I played for a few hours. No minimizing! Left the title screen in full screen mode for about 2 hours and it never minimized. However, turned AVG back on and still no minimizing during playing and left it in title screen for 2 hours... nothing.

So maybe it fixed it, but I am doubtful... and I will keep this open until I've logged a few more hours this week!

Great, sorta. :D
Maybe after an update it didn't register something right, and upon disabling and re-enabling the setting was corrected. :confused:

Here is hoping though. (y)

IamPotato

First Name
Ryan
Its back... with vengeance. With AVG on and with it off so bang goes that theory. Its strange because It just didn't do it the other day for hours upon hours.

Not sure what to try next.

Hmm, I still think it is something updating or scanning and popping up a little message. However I have no clue what it could be.
Windows up to date?
Any active scans scheduled, like windows defender maybe?
Steam notifications?

:confused:

Right, go post you virus links someplace else delwin18. clearly not legit with goo.gl
please for the love of anything smart, do not click that link delwin18 posted.

good point though. have you tried non steam games yet?

IamPotato

First Name
Ryan
Thanks for the link Delwin! :rolleyes:

Hello again! I have not tried any non steam games yet but now I think about it when I used to play Final Fantasy 13 full screen I began to get an unplayable fps rate which was bizarre as it came following a resolution change on my monitor (the type where everything changes and you're like wtf just happened) The graphics looked better but the fps just killed it, so I ended up playing windowed mode in that game too. Strange I know!

As for the initial problem I'd just been playing in windowed mode for a while and hoping that when I switched back it would have fixed itself haha the problem I was having with windowed mode though was that during competitive high pace games my mouse would sometimes miraculously break the window and drag the window slightly off center making the game unplayable and then I couldn't physically play the rest of the match as I couldn't force it to break window again. Again, bizarre.

I did come across an error icon when hitting windows to back out the game, on the taskbar when I clicked the game it said my game was corrupt and I needed to verify integrity through steam, which I did, and I hoped that would solve the problem. It seemed better at first but it still happens occasionally.

Still stumped.

Gremlins I'm sure.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online