1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

games on second hard drive

Discussion in 'Games' started by Naruto Uzumaki, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Naruto Uzumaki

Naruto Uzumaki Thread Starter

i just got a second hard drive to put all my games on, but a few of them keep putting data on my local drive. skyrim saves go to my documents, guild wars/guild wars 2 creates a folder in the same area. is there anyway to get this to go to the other hard drive?

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Well, most of them will only save the configuration file and saves to your documents folder. these usually aren't very big, the large game files stay on the second drive.

I found this article about moving Skyrim saves and fooling the game to use another location.
    http://www.wincom7.com/2012/04/change-skyrim-game-saves-default-directory-ssd/
    Maybe you can use that trick for other games. :D

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    There is a registry value that would point the save game files to My Documents but it's been a while and also changing it could cause issues so that would be at your own risk.

4. Naruto Uzumaki

Naruto Uzumaki Thread Starter

i did the command prompt, the article says i can delete the directory after, but when i do it reverts back to detecting anything on the other drive. or do i leave the shortcut and delete the .bak file?

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

I didn't read it completely, but what I gather is you leave the shortcut, because that is what tells windows to save/read to the new location instead.
    From what I gather it should make a shortcut and the Skyrim saves, (that can get very large) are then saved to your new set location.
    I've honestly never done this trick. you can move the default saves to a safe location and test to see if the trick works. If not, at least you can move the default saves back. :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice