1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

games quite playing

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bugnose, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Bugnose

Bugnose Thread Starter

The computer in question has XP home edition on it. It used to play games "Battlefield 1942, Age of Empire and Myst to name a few. Now the game freeze shortly after the games starts. Done 2 installs in 4 days of Xp one with direct x 8.1 which game require and one with 9 both installs with latest drivers to the best of my knowledge, and the pc locks up when games are played the rest of the time everything seems to work fine. These games used to play but will not run right at the moment. this problem has existed for several months now so I don't think it's related to sp2 release. Can anyone
    point me in the right direction?

2. shadowcat

shadowcat

Hello and welcome to TSG!

Please clarify a few things first:

- Did you install SP2?

- Are you running Directx 8.1 or 9? If you're not sure, go to Start > Run and type "dxdiag" without the quotes then click OK.

- What video card do you have?

- What sound card do you have?

3. Bugnose

Bugnose Thread Starter

IT has an AMD xp 2100 with 512ddr 2700
    direct-x 8.1 on a Gigabyte board
    no updates to the new install yet
    it has a Creative sound blaster live sound card and 4 X APG G4 MX440 64MB
    by AOpen I believe. It used to work fine.

4. shadowcat

shadowcat

First, download Windows SP1a.

Update Directx 9.0c.

Download -- do not install yet -- the Nvidia video card driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_61.77].

Uninstall your current video card driver by going to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs and look for the Nvidia video driver.

Install the downloaded Nvidia driver.

Download Everest to find out which Soundblaster Live you have -- you need to know this in order to update your sound drivers.

Update the sound card driver: http://creative.com/support/. Click on the drop-down menu under Download and choose your country, your Soundblaster card type, etc.

5. Bugnose

Bugnose Thread Starter

got directx9 and latest video, sound drivers and XP sp1 .It did play more normal instead of slow motion (the starting video) but the game still froze. I opened case and put fan blowing air into the case and was able to play one mission BATTLEFIELD 1942 with no problems then played UFO AFTERMATH with no problems so I think the video card or fan on card is dieing.

6. shadowcat

shadowcat

How did you conclude that the video card fan is dying? What you describe means heat is the issue. Is the video card fan obviously performing poorly (i.e., you see it slow down or not working right)?

How many case fans are there and where are they located?

Is the case fan(s) blowing out of or into the case?

Are any of the fans (CPU, video card, case, power supply) covered in dust? If so, use canned air to remove the dust from the fans. Be sure to keep the can upright (do not tilt the can) or else a white substance will get onto the sensitive computer parts and could damage them.

7. Bugnose

Bugnose Thread Starter

I blew out the case,but I should give it a closer look.He has 2 case fans at the bottom of the case left side panel blowing out,he changed them awhile back to fans with lights.There was also a light in case when that burned out he messed up and inadvertently unplugged the case fans. The fans are now hooked up again blowing out.It did play for a while then locked up again.The fan on video card dose turn. I just assumed it was not up to snuff.Guess I should not assume anything.

8. shadowcat

shadowcat

9. Bugnose

Bugnose Thread Starter

Got it downloaded and almost installed need to reboot but didn't. My sons at school and left his chat stuff open since he has some messages I did not reboot.I will try to touch base with him from work so I can post tomorrow. Its possible my son cloud post later tonight,if he dose it will probably be after 9:00 -11:00 otherwise it would be early am or afternoon tomorrow before I can Post again

10. Bugnose

Bugnose Thread Starter

If I got this installed right it says the case is 104 and the cpu is 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

11. shadowcat

shadowcat

I just wanted to make sure that it's not your processor overheating since it can be a cause for problems and is heat sensitive -- the temperature is fine. OK, this kicks it back to the video card.

You were right :D

You could go two ways about fixing this issue:

1. Replace the fan on your video card with something like Arctic Cooling NV Silencer-1 VGA cooler or Vantec VGA cooler (click on CCB-A4C). I've used the Vantec VGA cooler and it worked for a GeForce3 Ti 500 card.

2. Buy a new video card. Be aware of power supply requirements for the new video card before you by -- the newer cards require a lot of power and you may need to buy a new power supply to support it. To find out if you need to buy a new power supply to upgrade your video card, use this calculator.

12. Bugnose

Bugnose Thread Starter

Thanks shadowcat by the way did you ever play mechwarrior?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270588

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice