1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games randomly closing...

Discussion in 'Games' started by SecretIan, Dec 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

Hi guys. My problem is whenever I load up 3d applications they run for a little while and then they just close. The computer doesnt freeze or give an error message or anything (with the exception of ut2k4 which gives the errormessage below), the program just closes and goes to desktop.

UT2k4 error message:
    UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2207 MHz with 1023MB RAM
    Video: RADEON 9800 PRO (6497)

General protection fault!

History: KAddBSPTriangles <- AddBSP <- KTriListQuery <- KTriListGenerator <- KBoxTriangleListIntersect <- Intersect Function <- Types <- type1: 2, type2: 6 <- KIntersect <- KAggregateGenericIntersect <- Intersect Function <- Types <- type1: 8, type2: 6 <- KIntersect <- KIntersectEach <- KHandleCollisions <- KUpdateContacts <- KTickLevelKarma <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Robot Factory <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 676F4C57 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

I have been having this problem for a while now. When it first started happening it would happen an hour or two after I would start playing, so I was never really concerned with it. Since then the time has gotten shorter and shorter and now its at like 5 minutes or less before the game closes. It sounded a lot like a virus to me. Here are afew things I have tried to fix the problem:

1. Updated all my drivers.
    2. Patched all the games I was playing.
    3. Tried d3d games as well as openGL games.
    4. Ran stinger.exe from mcafree, found nothing.
    5. Ran adaware, didnt help.
    6. REFORMATTED HARD DRIVE AND REINSTALLED WINDOWS.
    7. Tried using omega drivers.
    8. I have also read this post: http://forums.techguy.org/t311759.html

I was pretty certain that doing a fresh install of windows would help, but it didnt do a thing... Previous to installing windows I figured it was a virus, but not anymore.

Is there anyone out there that can help me? This is such a broad problem its impossible to get tech support for it from anywhere else :(

Anyways, any help would be greatly GREATLY appreciated.

Here are my system specs:

AMD athlon XP 3200+
    ASUS a7N8X PCB 2.0 motherboard
    Radeon 9800 pro graphics card
    Creative soundblaster audigy sound card
    120 Gb Western Digital Hard drive
    1 Gb RAM @ 200 mhz dual channel
    450 watt enermax PSU
    optical drives etc. blah blah

2. rebon

rebon

Maybe its a heat problem, try removing the side panels and use a fan to blow into your pc, just a shot in the dark :)

3. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

Actually I think I may have solved it. Someone on another forum suggested that I try underclocking my ram a bit (I did 2 mhz) and reducing the timings and after doing that I can now get about 2 1/2 hours of gameplay before the program closes, which is definately good enough for me! I guess you get what you pay for when you buy valueram lol

4. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

ah ****, it looks like it actually wasnt fixed after all.... before I was using rome:total war for testing, probably not the greatest game to use. Ill try to do allt esting with ut2k4 from now on. Here is the error msg it gave this time:

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD PentiumPro-class processor @ 2161 MHz with 1023MB RAM
    Video: RADEON 9800 PRO (6497)

General protection fault!

History: UObject::processEvent <- (TracerProjectile AS-Junkyard.TracerProjectile, Function UTClassic.TracerProjectile.PostNetBeginPlay) <- ULevel::SpawnActor <- (TracerProjectile) <- UObject::processEvent <- (ClassicSniperFire AS-Junkyard.ClassicSniperRifle.ClassicSniperFire111, Function Engine.WeaponFire.ModeDoFire) <- UWeaponFire::ModeTick <- AActor::Tick <- TickAllActors <- ULevel::Tick <- (NetMode=0) <- TickLevel <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Junkyard Escape <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 676F4C57 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

5. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

Did you try taking the sides off and seeing if its a heating issue.
    Also try swapping ram.
    Are all your ram the same type and size?

6. Gundragon

Gundragon

How much RAM does your graphics card have? Is the AGP apature in the BIOS set to the right amount? Go into the BIOS and check for the AGP setting (it might be in advanced chipset settings or something similar). If it's more/less than the amount of RAM your graphics card has, set it correctly and retry.

7. SecretIan

SecretIan Thread Starter

hrrrm my 3d card is 128 mg... Ill go check the aperture size.

unfortunately I dont have any ram to swap out, tomorrow I might try taking one ram stick out and testing w/ just one stick and seeing if that will make a difference, then switch.

8. vanillag1rl

vanillag1rl

Trying just leaving 1 stick of ram in. see if that works. If not try other other stick of ram.

9. pager@42

[email protected]

Is your graphics card 8x AGP?

If it is, have you updated the 8x AGP drivers for your motherboard?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/313878

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice