1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games running poorly but CPU and GPU are barely working.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Jmatt301, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Jmatt301

Jmatt301 Thread Starter

i have recently purchased a new laptop (a HP Envy 17-ce0014na) and aside from business use i thought id use it to play games occasionally. i downloaded Forza Horizon 4 the day i received the laptop to test the performance and it was great, running max settings at a solid framerate.

A few weeks pass and i go to play Forza again however it was stuck on 12fps. I lowered the graphics settings and still all i got was 12 fps. I opened the performance on task manager and the CPU utilisation was constant at about 20% (i don't recall the exact figure). Furthermore i played Wreckfest today and the framerate was terrible and the CPU utilisation was only 25% as for the GPU, it was 3% and RAM 49% regardless of the graphics settings i used.

I do not understand why it is running games so poorly and barely using the CPU and GPU especially when i know it can perform well as evidenced by my first play of Forza. Any hints or ideas would be hugely appreciated as i am completely stumped and i am obviously not at all clever when it comes to computers like you guys. I do not understand much when it comes to computers (significantly gaming) such as drivers so please dumb down your replies for my small brain :)

Just a few side notes that may be useful:
    >Forza was dowloaded through the microsoft store (forza automatically put the setting to max).
    >Wreckfest was played via Steam.
    >Same results have been found with other games through Steam (even menu screens lag).

DxDiag is attached.

Thank you guys so much for your help!

Kind regards, Joe.

Attached Files:

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

You will NEVER get a decent frame rate on Wreckfest on that laptop unless you run the game at a lower resolution
    Resolutions: HD ( 1366 x 768 px), WXGA+ (1440 x 900 px), HD+ (1600 x 900 px), FHD (1920 x 1080 px), WUXGA (1920 x 1200 px) FHD+ (2160 x 1440 px), retina (2304 x 1440 px), QHD (2560 x 1440 px), WQXGA(2560 x 1600 px), QHD+ (3200 x 1800 px), UHD (3840 x 2160 px)

YOU are running
    Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)

That said the main problem is that the laptop is using the integrated Intel graphics
    Card name: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620

and not the Nvidia
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce MX250

On some laptops the choice is made by the computer and is not user definable
    If you can configure your laptop to use the MX250 rather than the Intel integrated graphics, then HOW to do so is in your user manual.
    There are a number of different methods
    Some use the Nvidia control Panel which is opened usually from right click on desktop.
    Some use other settings and rather than me offering suggestions for you simply to find they fail it is EASIER for you on a new laptop to simply ask HP - if the graphic setting option is available on your laptop

ONE of the assured methods is usually to connect an external monitor which on MANY laptops will automatically use the Nvidia graphics.

That all said there is record of a memory leak on Wreckfest
    Windows Error Reporting:
    +++ WER0 +++:
    Fault bucket 1403324482494488847, type 5
    Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0
    Problem signature:
    P1: Wreckfest_x64.exe
    P2: 0.0.0.0
    P3: 10.0.18362.2.0.0

and there is also record of store updates failing.

IF you are using the included free trial of McAfee - I think it is on that laptop, then I recommend you uninstall McAfee and used the provided Windows defender.
    It has proved more suitable for 10 than many 3rd party AV programs. Defender is 100% compatible with Windows 10 at all times.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235491

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice