1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games slow down

Discussion in 'Games' started by mittens2000, Sep 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mittens2000

mittens2000 Thread Starter

I recently been having a re-occuring problem in games (of any variety) where every few minutes or so my game will slow down and go frame by frame for about a minute in a half. It normally takes about five minutes for this to happen the first time after I open the game and it happens more and more following that. This has made games almost impossible to play or enjoy. Please help.

2. McTimson

McTimson

First, make sure you read and do everyhting in this thread.

Have you tried opening up your computer and blowing out all the dust inside? Also, try running it with the side of the case off, and point a fan towards it to help cool it.

If none of that works, then post back with your system specs using the dxdiag method in the link above, and tell us which games you're having trouble with.

Good luck :)

3. mittens2000

I have done all the things the thread you gave me told me to do and blew out the inside of my computer. The fan idea didn't work either. As to which type of games this affects, all of them of any type. Here are my system specs and info. Please Help.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600)

Language: English (Regional Setting:English)

System Manufacturer: Compaq

System Model: DSDT

BIOS: 686Y2 v3.04

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1500MHz

Memory: 512MB RAM

Page File: 103 MB used, 1146 MB Available

Direct X Version: Direct X 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902

4. McTimson

McTimson

Hmmm...this sounds like a CPU overheating problem, when Pentium 4's overheat, thay automatically slow down to the point at which they don't run as hot....which is usually very slow.

However, since it's a Compaq, this would seem very weird...make sure the fan over the CPU is running correctly, and when the computer is off, try as hard as you can to blow the dust out of the heatsink under the fan (the big metal thing).

5. mittens2000

Well, i've discovered that computer slows down in the way discribed in my earlier post when running anything. My fan seems to be working perfectly, (I can feel it blowing out through the vents) and I tried blowing dust out of the inside of computer. Thank you for all of immediate help and replies, this has to have service better than almost anything else I've used on the net. Thank you again and please help.

6. McTimson

McTimson

OK, try running it with the side of the case off. Maybe even point a fan towards it to give it more cool air. When you're in a game, touch the heatsink to see how hot it is. It should be pretty hot, but it shouldn't be like incredibly hot or anything...if it is, then there's the problem.

7. revson

revson

Don't forget to check your power supply, should be at least 300 to 400 watts.
    What many processors will do when they begin overheating is switch to a low power mode which would do what you are describing.
    To check, try removing power to your CD Rom drives and any non essential components and see if that helps, if so, your power supply is the problem.

8. mittens2000

you were right, when I touched the heatsink thing I almost got a burn on my finger.

9. McTimson

McTimson

Is the fan on the heatsink working correctly?

10. mittens2000

well my problem has stopped suddenly and I don't know what happened to do so. Thanks for all your help.:)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice