1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games suitable for integrated graphics chipset

Discussion in 'Games' started by abeer_d, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abeer_d

abeer_d Thread Starter

Hi,
    I've a system with Intel Celeron 1.7 GHz,40 GB 7200 RPM HDD and an Intel 845 GL based ASUS M/B which has 8 MB shared graphics memory.It has Windows 98 Second Edition.

I would like to know what specification requirements should I look for in games for them to run on my system smoothly?

I also have DirectX 6.1.Would upgrading to a later version give me a definite advantage?

Thank you.

2. RSM123

RSM123

Hi,

Just one observation here regarding what you should look for in terms of suitable specs to run any game - take the games manufacturers claims with a pinch of salt. For example if they state that you can run GTA Vice City on a 900 Mhz PC with 256mb Ram and a 32mb Graphics Card, they mean they have tested it and it did work .... but very likely with very low resolution, marginal draw distance, maybe with shadows etc turned off, low sound settings etc.

One thing you would be well advised to do when you see a game you like, would be to search in :

http://www.google.com

And look for Fansites / Modsites for that game as they often have forums where you can read about reported game 'bugs', compatability issues, and if need be you could post you own specs and ask those with the game what sort of performance you could expect.

On the subject of DirectX - In my opinion you should perhaps download 8.0 or 8.1 but not DX9. I say that because it is supposedly for the latest graphics setups only - and according to Microsoft you cannot uninstall or roll back to an earlier version if you encounter problems.

Should you need it - here is a link to DirectX downloads :

http://www.microsoft.com/directx/

3. McTimson

McTimson

You should definitely upgrade your DirectX, but if a game needs it, it will most likely be included with the game, so you can install it from there if you want.

As long as you meet the speed and memory requirements, which you probably do, then that's OK. But the problem is your video card...8MB of integrated video can't cut it with any recent games, so you should definitely try to upgrade that as soon as you can if you want to play anything newer than ~4 years ago.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice