1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games that used to run on my system don't anymore???

Discussion in 'Games' started by machv, Jan 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. machv

machv Thread Starter

I think I am in the right place but if this thread should be in another spot let me know.

I bought a computer a while ago and because it has a GeForce 7800 GS video card it sadly has the infinite loop problem. I managed to fix the Blue Screen of Death errors this problem causes when I downloaded the latest drivers for my card. I haven't had the crash problem since, but still have video rendering problems when I play some games like Battlefield 2 for instance what happens is the environment goes all screwy, I see a checkerboard type map on the ground or the image of the gun I am holding has odd triangle shapes coming off it or when I get into a vehicle the view is all triangles and flashing object or the other characters in the game look all sparkly and seem to be made up of odd triangle shapes. The only way to fix this is to reboot the system closing the game and starting it again doesn't work. Anywho the main reason I am here is because since I updated the video drivers ( I don't know what they were before or if this is the real reason for the problem) or because of something else other than the driver update, I can't say for sure as I didn't notice the problem right away because I didn't start the affected games for quite some time after the fact. I can still play COD4 but COD5, COD6, and Black Ops all fail to work and close down before they start COD6 actually stutters at the menu screen and I have to shut the system down by pulling the plug. COD5 and COD6 worked when I first got the system I have tried uninstalling them and reinstalling them to no avail. And as far as I am aware if COD6 works then Black Ops should too. I have Medal of Honor 2010 and it works OK. I also have Quantum of Solace and it has the same problem and so does Assassins Creed 1. All of the games should work on my system according to the sys requirements or due to the fact that similar games that need more than what I have do work if I turn down some of the settings. Normally when I have in the past had one of these games crash after installing all I had to do was choose "Start in Safe Mode" to get them to work where I could fiddle with the video options to get them high enough to work but not so high they either crashed the computer or messed with he gameplay too much.

Normally I would post all my system specs and hijack logs etc... but instead of posting info that you might not need please just let me know what I should post for you to be able to help me. Also it is possible my system has registry problems and or virus problems which is causing this. I have had my Internet stop working and the only way I have been able to fix it is to do a system restore to an earlier time. Normally when I have had this much trouble I just format and reinstall the whole shebang (I think that the right technical term lol) but sadly I bought a computer that has a promise SATA 300tx card so when I try to reinstall the OS I have to supply the correct driver for the card via the A: drive. I downloaded what I thought was the right driver for the card but when I try to use it it says there was an error with the driver and it crapped out press F3 and go away lol. So if someone knows what the error code 18 (I think that's the correct error number) and or where the right driver is for XP (the same driver worked OK with a WIN7 installation I have dual boot) Oh and Win7 won't runt he games either.

Thanks for your help and have a great day

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice