1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games used to run fast but now very jumpy and slow

Discussion in 'Games' started by joely, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joely

joely Thread Starter

Hi I have various games on my computer like fifa 11 and assassins creed that when i first got them ran smooth and fast on my computer, but lately they have been very slow and jumpy. I have done everything i can think of (disk defrag, clean registry, analyzed my ram, deleted programs i dont use, cleaned up broken links and done virus scans), but nothing seems to help. What kind of reasons could there be for this lag. When i look at my resource monitor it shows my hard disk usage as off the charts. My computer has a radeon hd 5650 integrated gfx card, an i3 370 m processor and 4 gigs of ram. I hope someone can shed some light on why i have this problem. :confused:
    Thanks

2. TehTech

TehTech

Is this a Laptop? If so, please tell me you don't play any of these games while the laptop is in your lap.

3. joely

joely Thread Starter

No i have a desk for it and even have it propped up so it has extra ventilation.

4. Megabite

Megabite

Howdy,

where are you looking when you say "my resource monitor it shows my hard disk usage as off the charts"

5. joely

joely Thread Starter

if you bring up the the task manager and click on the performance tab the is a button that you can click on at the bottom that says resource monitor. It tells you your hard disk usage network usage, ect...

6. Megabite

Megabite

Understand

and what does your CPU and Memory usage say?

7. joely

joely Thread Starter

memory and cpu are high as well but not quite as high. lately even when no programs are running my disk says it is running very high.

8. Megabite

Megabite

Could be a virus or a program or programs running in the background.......also does it seem quite warm near the extractor fan?

9. Megabite

Megabite

Start Task Manager and this time click on the Processes tab and see what is taking up the most memory usage

10. joely

joely Thread Starter

It does get warm, but not unusually warm. Ive done several in depth virus scans and nothing so far. I was told that it could be something to do with a problem in the actual operating system itself, does reloading the operating system make any sense?

11. joely

joely Thread Starter

the memory lately hasnt really been so bad its mostly been cpu and disk that are unusually high

12. Megabite

Megabite

Yes you could reload the operating system but unless you have a backup of a recent time when it was working OK then you will have to install all Windows updates again.

13. joely

joely Thread Starter

ya i dont have that so ill keep that as a last resort. Do you think it could be a hardware problem? I still have warranty so i could take it in

14. Megabite

Megabite

Hard to say...did you look in Task Manager under Processes tab to see what is taking up the most usage

15. joely

joely Thread Starter

the game when operating takes up the most usage. firefox and steam are the next most but i close those down when i game

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice