1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Games Windows 95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by higbee, Apr 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. higbee

higbee Thread Starter

I recently bought an old laptop which has Windows 95. It appears the Solitaire, Hearts, etc. game port has been disabled. Does anyone know how to enable the port to allow the games to be accessed?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    port?? I'm not too sure why you need the game port for the Windows games...

Anyways, if you are requiring the icons in the Start > Accessories > Games, then go to Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs. Under Windows Setup, you will find the list of Windows components listed. Make sure the Games box is checked.

Also to directly find the files the files are in %system root%/Windows (%system root% being the drive Windows is installed, usually C: Drive)

3. higbee

higbee Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Didn't find the files. I don't have any games link under accessories. Don't the games (Solitaire and Hearts) come automatically with Windows? Has the original owner taken them out or were the games never part of it?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It should be a part of Windows.

Windows Setup might also be called Windows Components. You need to check this to see if its selected.

As for the programs themselves, they are in the Windows directory. The filenames are hearts.exe (or mshearts.exe), sol.exe, freecell.exe and winmine.exe

5. higbee

higbee Thread Starter

Thanks again! When I go to Accessories, the Games link is not there. When I go to the Windows Setup as you described, the Accessory box is checked but there is no listing for Games. When I do a file search for the files you listed, there are no files that come up for any of the games. Is it possible that someone deleted the games out of Windows?

6. A Hawk

A Hawk

They probably have been deleted so you will need the 95 disk to install them again. Do what Tidus said go into the controlpanel>add and remove programs>windows setup>and double click on accessories and all the accessories should appear.Check the games box and then click apply and it will probably ask you for the 95 disk. :)

7. higbee

higbee Thread Starter

That worked! Thanks to both of you!

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    (y) Glad to help you.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/218487

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice