Games wont load!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

chumly20nj

I have Win98. I've had this computer for three years and it run games with no problems. Then one day I try and load Starcraft and it goes to a black screen and locks up my computer. I cant figure out anything, I was hoping maybe somebody can hel me out. Thanks

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi chumly20nj, welcome to TSG....

Is this the only cd game that does this? Do the others work? Do program cds work correct? Is this an original cd or copy?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Try going to the control panel, system, device manager, select the cdrom, properties, settings, what do you have checked there?

chumly20nj

I have under options Disconnect, sync data transfer, auto insertation notification, and DMA checked off.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, when you say you have them checked off, I'm assuming you have a check mark in all 4 of them.....if so, try unchecking DMA and auto-insert notification....now try a game.

chumly20nj

Sorry no luck, i'm pretty sure its not a CDrom problem. I tried use a program that allowed me to load the game without a cd, and it still didnt work.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You restarted the computer after making those changes, correct?

Another thing you might take a look at is your display adapter settings, by right clicking on the desktop, properties, settings, and try another color, maybe 16 bit.....also, go to advanced settings, performance and try lowering the acceleration.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online