1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

games won't perform as i hoped

Discussion in 'Games' started by ilnot, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ilnot

ilnot Thread Starter

hello guys, i recently purchased an ATI RADEON x300 graphics card to play new games like fifa 2006 and need for speed most wanted.. i have P4 2.8 processor with RAM 1 GB, i first tried to play the games with the driver that came with the card's installation CD, but the games were not performing that good with a 256 MB graphics card and RAM 1GB, as this configuration is way higher than minimum requirements for playing these games, so i downloaded the latest driver from the official ATI website but still no difference, there was a software in the web site called "Catalyst Control Center" which is said to enhance display properties and performance but nothing of that happened after it's installation... WHERE'S THE PROBLEM NOW? this software has adjustable features for 3D games like anti-aliasing, mip-map, etc...., but i never could adjust them right...... HELP PLZ

2. Kramer55

Kramer55

The X300 isn't a great card; it will be able to run most new games, but only with low detail.
    The latest drivers or Catalyst Control Center will not help the performance of the games.

You may want to check your computer for viruses/spyware and also make sure to disable any unnecessary programs that may be running in the background.

3. ilnot

ilnot Thread Starter

ok, there's something i need to understand here, 256 MB video card with 1 GB ram isn't great, so what is? i'm trying to be sarcastic here, that's a true question i'm asking... isn't game performance depending on only video memory and physical memory and processor?? if not plz tell me what does.. thanks

4. Chicon

Chicon

5. ilnot

ilnot Thread Starter

Chicon, Chicon, Chicon... thanks a million, i did exactly what u said in the linked thread and now there's a great difference in my gaming experience.. it's all great now but sometimes when playing a game like fifa 2006, frequent delays occur through the game, like when a player is running in the field he keeps delaying in his runs like the picture is paused then resumed, paused then resumed although in a fast way but still if there's something more i can do, i'll be so thankful , if not then i must be grateful for where i am right now.. thanks a million again

6. Chicon

Chicon

You're welcome ! :)

According to game reviews about FIFA 2006 I've read, slowdown issues may occur when there are a lot players on the screen simultaneously.

Therefore, you may tune the mipmapping of your video card.

Here's the definition of mipmapping from the ATI help :

To proceed,

- right-click on the ATI logo in the systray,
    - select 1. RADEON ...;
    - select 3D settings;
    - select Mipmap detail level : it is actually set to High Quality, you may choose Performance to play FIFA 2006
    If the problem still occurs, then choose High Performance.

7. ilnot

ilnot Thread Starter

sorry i didn't see the last message except now.. i tried the mippapping thing as u suggested and it worked perfectly, i also tried setting the game resolution to its default and this even improved the game performance further.. as i said before and will always say; thanks a million chicon u're the best there is, my problem is at last solved

8. MahaGamer

MahaGamer

The x300 card is fine for what he's doing, my friend has a x300 and plays battlefield 2 on medium and averages 40 fps. He also gets good performance on americas army. I have a FX5500 (hehe). I can't even run BF2, Americas Army runs fine on high settings, and day of defeat source runs on high settings 1024x768, averaging 30-50 fps. Don't think the gfx card is holding you back, cause it's not.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488462

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice