1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gaming controllers- pros, cons, and compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mothergoose729, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mothergoose729

mothergoose729 Thread Starter

I want to get a gaming controller for my pc, because I abolutely hate gaming on a key board. I console gamer from the days of my early youth, I find it comfortable and familiar to have a d-pad, joy stick, and 4 button diamond configuration in my right hand. I want to get a logitech controller in the typical shape of a Playstation controller. If I do though, what games will I be able to use it with, will the drivers be available for my windows 64 bit, and what typical problems can I expect to have with said controller?

BTW, I will be getting a gaming mouse later. Right now I am interested in buying a gaming controller. I know people like to go off topic with that so I though I would clear that up.

Thanks in advanced :)

2. br1ng3r

br1ng3r

I was a dedicated Console gamer since the first days of the "playstation", and i would never touch a PC for gaming (sorry guys)! The d-pad was almost like a third appendage to me, and then with the thumbsticks....pure heaven! But since 'getting used' to the keyboard i would never go back. (anyway back to the point)!
    I bought a new pad a couple of months ago, exactly the same as a PS2 pad. Installed the drivers with no problem, But for some reason found it hard or sometimes impossible to configure the pad to each game.
    Push to go forward and i went left, squeeze the trigger and i would jump up and down. I think alot depends on personal preference and weather the game will support a pad or keyboard only.

3. BG-0

BG-0

Do you guys like playing FPS games on consoles? That would be freaky... You must have some accurately moving thumbs.
    Most of the (new?) games have quite limited if any support for game pads... Except for most of the ones translated from consoles to PC...

4. br1ng3r

br1ng3r

Hey BG-0, yes it used to be second nature playing fps on a console. Classics like half life, doom and my then favorite's all the 'Medal of honor' series. But since having a serious go at PC gaming my old ps2 hasent been touched (apart from dust), for about 2 years. But your right about the compatability of the newer games to support a game pad>

5. BG-0

BG-0

Heh. Only thing I prefer to play on consoles are the FF series and such games. Tried Final Fantasy 7 on my old rig, it ran nice, but... It just didn't have the certain trick to it, and I was very disappointed.
    Also a certain kind of racing games are nice, with a friend, played on a console. Oh, and Super Smash Brothers. Original, Melee, and Brawl. Sweet games, but you just get tired of them...
    Gah, talking useless crape. I'm just gonna shut it.

6. mothergoose729

mothergoose729 Thread Starter

hm.... that is really quite unfortunate... I was hoping for a game controller to be a good way to go (shrugs and orders gaming mouse instead). Maybe I'll get a cheapy the next time I am at frys just to try out.

7. sup2a

sup2a

Well I have to say and not many people are goignt o like this but i prefer any console to the PC for gaming, the "controller" just feel so much more coordinated I barely ever play FPS on PC, i cant stand the keyboard using keys spread halfway across the board every now and then just make me lose complete concentration, ANYWAY, My mate had a PS2 controller connector, trough USB 2.0 and it wasnt too bad, he didnt play too many games so i couldnt really tell what it was compatible with, but it was really cheap at only $15 AUD unfortunately the shop at the time ran out so i couldnt get one.

8. BG-0

BG-0

Hey, let's start a useless debate here! :D
    You really don't have to use keys spread half across the kb, as you can configure (example) wasd keys for movement, then use zxcv for little thing like ammo type change, flashlight etc, f for use, qe for lean, ctrl and shift crouch and sprint, maybe you need more keys, then use tab, caps, t, g. After that (or before) utilize some of your mouse keys (I have a 2 yr old 20 € cheapo laser mouse and it has back and forward browsing buttons, they are very convenient to use with your thumb. That's a lot more keys than the pad can offer, all within a reasonable reach from the movement keys and on the mouse, and won't cause any trouble reaching and aiming at them after playing for a few days.
    And, you can configure the keys about 25 times more than in a console game.
    But.. Well. The Pads have their own feel to them. I agree that many console games would be hell on the pc.. But they never publish those games to the pc :p

9. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Off topic I know, but I would really not recommend a gampad for anything other than driving games, where the limited input ( faster, slower, left right and a few extras) dont hinder, and the analogue control is useful. Anything else would have to be KB/M. In terms of kboards, the merc series are great and feel quite gamepadish, with th ekey layout. A mouse will always ( yes, I did say always) be more responsive than a gamepad, as it is a direct translation of user movement.

The only other I can say is with a gamepad, can you jump, look up and to the left, change grenade type, sprint, shoot, and be ready to change weapons .1 seconds later? Can on a KB/M <g> :)

10. BG-0

BG-0

Yes you can ;)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice