1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gaming desktop: lenovo or ibuypower ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by muddy123, Jun 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

deciding between fry's lenovo k330-77275su and best buy's ibuypower bb9371 ? maybe ibuypower 3rd gen. i7 bb982p; i'm worried about ibuypower using 'micro' motherboards; these 2 ibuypower computers both have 1 free pci slot, the lenovo has 2, i think; i might want to upgrade ram to 16gb , and upgrade video card at some future point, i would onlly use this machine for gaming: should i worry about the 'micro' motherboard issue ? lenovo is $950, ibuypower's are $840 and $1000, respectively; thanks i might have to upgrade power supply if i upgraded the video card at some future date; thanks would i be able to make these 3 upgrades to the ibuypower desktops ? thanks

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The Radeon HD 6450 isn't a gaming graphics card, that being said the 280 watt power supply in the system can't handle a gaming class graphics card. At 12GB of RAM you already have more then you'll need for gaming. So this isn't a gaming system. It'd cost you no less then $250 to make this a gaming capable computer.

I don't see either of ibuypower systems listed at Fry's or anywhere else, are you sure those are the correct models?

Why not buy a ready to go gaming system? Such as this: http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Special-A Or customize your own at their site: http://www.ibuypower.com/IbpPages/CustConfig.aspx

Or build your own with quality parts of your choosing?

Also, most people never use more then one PCI-Express slot in a modem PC, and rarely do they use a PCI slot. The other difference is the number of memory slots, you may only get 2 on a Micro-ATX board, but some have 4 or 6. The boards may also be less feature packed models in a series with less tweaks; full ATX boards generally get the all tweaks and goodies from the manufacturer and then they have more reason to charge a premium. When you go for entry level gaming systems, there's little point getting a high-end motherboard and pairing with low-end graphics.

3. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

ibuypower has nvidia gtx550ti : is this a 'gaming' card ? thanks a million !!! i might want to add ram, better video card, and power supply (IF needed do to better video card) to the ibuypower machine : would i be able to make these upgrades at a future date ? ; the lenovo was in the 'gaming' section at fry's,, i assumed it was a gaming card, it has 1gb memory ? thanks greatly, only 2 guys of 300 viewing my forum questions has gotten back to me with any help, you, and 1 guy at major geeks; thanks a million !!! i'll check out those links you gave me; gary

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 550 Ti is a decent gaming card.

You can add more RAM(pointless though), a better graphics card, and a better power supply, but financially that doesn't make sense to spend so much for a system and then replace several of the key and expensive components.

The amount of RAM on a video card is not a measure of its performance, integrated graphics chips can have 1GB of RAM but that doesn't make them gaming cards.

You can see how cards compare in benchmarks such as this: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/2012-vga-gpgpu/benchmarks,135.html
    Make a note of the resolutions that they test some of these games at, the Performance(B) charts are the ones most people game at. The lowest card they appear to use in the benchmarks is the Radeon HD 6570(which struggles in many performance benchmarks) or the Geforce GTX 550 Ti.

5. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

thanks again !!! so the gtx550ti is not a gaming video card as well as the hd6450 ? i wasn't planning on upgrading any video cards or ram immediately, i meant at a possible future date (maybe never), eg, 2 or more years down the road; so, i would be wrong to buy that ibuypurchase computer with the gtx550ti ? what video card do you recommend ? (i didn't want to spend more than about $1100), what computer ? thanks so much, gary (i have some great red wing stories if your a hockey fan); thanks a million; i haven't checked those links yet, getting ready to;

6. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

thanks greatly: 1pci express x16, 1pci express x1, 1pci x1 : expansion slots availalble on the ibuypower for $1,099, best buy; the one on sale for $839 says: 1 pci express 2.0 x 1 for available expansion slots: does this mean the more expensive desktop hax more expandablility ? also, the more expensive one has 3rd generation i7 cpu and 2gb video card; the $839 (regular $939) has 2nd generation i7 cpu and only 1gb memory card; the $1,099 desktop has a gtx560 video card; thanks so much, gary aka muddy123 p.s. someone said the hard-drive came unplugged upon recieving it (shipped), he had to re-plug it in: how hard would this be ? another guy said the video card was shot, upon arrival and complained about the 'micro' motherboard: should i worry about a 'micor motherboard'; thanks a million !!!

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The 550Ti is gaming card, definitely not one of the best ones but quite capable. The Radeon HD 6450 is NOT a gaming card.

It would be easier if you provided links to the systems you are looking at.

8. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

i don't know how to 'provide links' , i'm no tech heavy; thanks for all your help; gary i've sort of decided on the ibuypower from best buy for 1
    $1,099.00;

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Go to the site, copy the link from the address bar, then right click in your post and choose paste.

10. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, and thats a very nice gaming system with the latest Intel i7 and a very good graphics card.

12. muddy123

muddy123 Thread Starter

thanks for your help, i bought an alienware xp51 on 05/25/2012 , i bought it in haste for $900 at best buy, it looked small, not too expandable, then when i bought my used dell xp210 7 days ago, after using my 2004 dell optiplex, 512 ram for 2 yrs.. my computer speed (especially internet) was so much faster, i decided to get a really fast gaming desktop, which lead to my decision to take the alienware back and upgrade to a stronger gaming desktop; looks like my search is about over, unless i see some great deal on craigslist; i'm a little worried about spending a lot of money on a craigslist machine, though; thanks a million for your help; it's hard to get good pc advice from an expert, i posted my questions on 4 or 5 forums, got only 2 responses !! thanks again !!! the ibuypower for $839 only has 1 expansion slot, that was why i was looking at that lenovo for fry's, you set me straight on that machine;

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You have to be wary of things purchased from sites like Craig's List, Kijiji(Canadian equivalent), or other classified sites. They can be sub par systems with no recourse if there's something wrong.

Most things are available in USB versions so lots of expansion slots isn't that important for many people; for an extreme with loads of money they can install 3 or 4 graphics cards, a high-end sound card, a high-end network card, so they want those extra slots. For the average user or gamer a single PCI-Express x16 slot is usually good enough.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055666

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice