1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gaming Laptop around a $1000?

Discussion in 'Games' started by InfectioN, Dec 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

i'm looking into gettnig a laptop but really have never fooled with them

anyone have a certain one that you've gotten recently or know of one that would be good?

main thing is that i dont really know what spec's are good and not good

the game i'm trying to play is WoW

2. Jones

Jones

3. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

i'm thinking the 12 inch monitor may not be big enough

i built my own at dell.. and it came out to be around $1000. but once again i have no idea about the graphic's card and processor speed. searching around newegg and cnet and tigerdirect just helps me come up with less expensive laptops that i have no idea if the type of laptop is good or not.. EX. Averatec, sony, gateway.

this really confusing

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Yea atleast 15.X for the screen if your going to be playing games

graphic card will be the killer.......I have a laptop and the CPU is fine and memory but the graphics let me down when it comes to games.

5. Zeus.:God

Zeus.:God

When it comes down to gaming, laptops are NOT the way to go. Though, if you must have a gaming laptop, it won't be that cheap. It will cost more into the 2000's.

6. Fabienne

Fabienne

I spent 1300. on the Gateway Platinum Edition. I love it! I also play WoW and Ultima Online on it with no troubles. I have more trouble with my desktop and gaming than I do with this laptop. hehe.

It has a 17" widescreen, Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 2GB memory

7. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

i'm looking at a dell

Intel Core Duo 2.0 GHz T7200, 15.4 ultrasharp SXGA display, 1GB ram, 80gb 7200 HD, 256MB ati radeon X1400

any good?

8. Jones

Jones

It'll do the job. Don't expect desktop performance from it though. Laptops just don't have the same horsepower as desktops, even if the Mhz of the processor and MB of ram are the same, desktops will have faster bus speeds, and more pixel pipelines/shaders in their video cards than their laptop counterparts.

9. Compiler

Compiler

NOwadays - you can get notebooks very cheap... on a business project I am working on and hoping to get, we'll be getting basic HP notebooks with 15 and 17" diaplays for $600~800... But I know they suck for games, but not a big deal.

For some gaming power, YOU can get near DESKTOP power in a 15-17" notebook... but not for $1000... not a dell. Get an Alienware notebook (now owned by Dell)

$1250 is about the cheapest:
    http://www.alienware.com/product_de...px?SysCode=PC-LT-AREA51M5750-R2&SubCode=SKU-C

But for $1700 - this one would do games very good - 17" choose your color:
    http://www.alienware.com/product_de...sCode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-9700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT

Hey, I was just at HP's site - checkout their 17" notebook - with optional GeForce7600 for their 17" model... its about $1100 (AMD64- TL50 / 1GB / 80GB HD / Go7600)
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto/computer_customize_components.do

(The link above seems to be a bit problematic - click it, then on LEFT side - click on dv9000z)

10. InfectioN

InfectioN Thread Starter

ok, i guess i should have clarified that this laptop will be for my work. it will not be a gaming pc. i just wanted one that had the capability to game on.

after reading alot on amd's.. i couldnt find where people didn't have a post about how hot it got.

also.. i dont think my work environment would accept a alien.. lets be honest :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/530517

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice