1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gaming laptop question.

Discussion in 'Games' started by fourhundred, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fourhundred

fourhundred Thread Starter

Hi there, got a whole load of questions regarding my laptop and gaming. Ill split them up to make it easier to read.

Im trying to play Allods Online. A new MMORPG that is well worth looking at. Search Allods EU, its free, and a very good game! Not your typical runescape. Much more WOW, but different. Below are the min specs, and i can play the game, but it does have lag now and again. I remmeber playing WOW much smoother on less laptops. So, whats going on. Ive read the laptop simply isnt good enough, and theres nothing i can upgrade. When the game is on, and im running Gamebooster, (optimising program) it takes just 1.2gb of my ram. and 20-40% of CPU. Im playing on lowest settings. I want it smooth and lag free for PVP.

This will be the only game ill be playing.

Code:
    My Specs...

Operating System: Windows Vista¬ô Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
    System Manufacturer: Acer            
           System Model: Aspire 5520     
                   BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1     
              Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 (2 CPUs), ~1.8GHz
                 Memory: 3070MB RAM (4gb, 2x2gb installed)
              Page File: 1216MB used, 9152MB available

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M
         Manufacturer: NVIDIA
            Chip type: GeForce 7000M / nForce 610M
             DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
           Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0533&SUBSYS_01261025&REV_A2
       Display Memory: 1532 MB
     Dedicated Memory: 252 MB
        Shared Memory: 1279 MB
         Current Mode: 1280 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Windows scores

Processor 4.7  
    Memory  5.1 
    Graphics  3.2 
    Gaming graphics  3.0 
    Primary hard disk  4.8 

1. Someone said something about updating bios? Will it help, is it worth the risk?

2. Is my laptop any good? Is it worth/possible to upgrade mygraphics card. I read its intergrated. My knowledge is somewhat limited to google.

3. IF possible to upgrade is it worth it, or should i go about getting a new laptop? I dont mind getting a new one, i can sell this one. Also, how much would you value it at?

All help and knowledge is appreciated, and sorry for the large post.

Dan

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Updating BIOS won't do a thing unless there is a very specific reason to do so. It certainly won't help any "lag" problems.

Is the "lag" due to your machine, or could it be simply a lag in internet communication? How fast is your connection?

You might also check to see what else you have running that you can shut down. WMI can slow things quite a bit if running. It needs to run, but you can pause it from a command line:

net pause winmgmt

You should not need to restart it since it will start itself, but if needed:

net continue winmgmt

Something like Bitsum's Process Lasso is also useful (or the free ProcessTamer--the free version of Lasso works well). You could lower the CPU priority of processes you need to keep running but that do not need CPU priority and raise the priority of the game to above normal or high (never use "realtime"--it will lock the machine and you won't be able to do anything). Lasso has a gaming mode. The developer is a very honest and hard-working individual who is always making improvements based on user feedback. Keep an eye out for the frequent updates if you use it. I have it on every machine I own. Once you get your settings the way you want, you can shut down the main program, freeing up yet more CPU, and leave the service running in the background to enforce the priorities. I run it under Local System credentials, but it works fine under any administrative credentials, too.

3. Megabite

Megabite

First it is a free online game.....so your lag maybe internet related and not PC specs

are you playing this wireless or through a Router and what bandwith do you have?

You laptop is OK but not high spec for new games

4. fourhundred

fourhundred Thread Starter

@Elvandil

Thanks for the BIOS clarify.

Connection is 20mb max Virgin, and its fine till the whole house jumps on it. But i know when they do. The lag isnt massive, but does fluctuate.

What is WMI? And how much will it help? Ie is it worth it? Do i need to pause it after each restart/each time i wish to play?

This lasso thing, is it worth installing alongside the gamebooster i have? Theone i have is a simple tool, it shuts down all unneeded process and cuts ram usage by a good 0.3gb if not a little more.

Im not saying your wrong, i just like to challenge nd ask questions so i know what im on about! :p

Thanks for your help.

@Megabite

HI its a highly produced game. Its the most expensive game in russian history costing 12million (us or uk currency im unsure) so its no rubbish game. it is still in Beta, but other players dont have problems.

Im playing wireless, ie not plugged in.

Many thanks,

@both

Do you have any idea of the value of my laptop? I know they depreciate, alot!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/898056

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice