1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gaming laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kainy, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kainy

kainy Thread Starter

Hey, I've been a PC gamer for only a short time. I am looking at a gaming laptop, and I don't know how good the mobile parts are. here is what I am looking at.

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ mobile
    Radeon 9600 mobility
    512mb of ram.

Anyone know if this will keep me going for the next few years playing most of the newer games? I can easily upgrade the ram, because I know 512 is sub standard these days.

Thanks. Kainy.

2. Dave_Snow

Dave_Snow

512 RAM is recommended, but I would highly recommend 1 GB of RAM in your laptop if you are going to game with it. Just ad another 512 stick and tada.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Nope. A Radeon 9600, especially the mobile ones, are the bottom mid-range cards. They won't produce good enough results in games like Doom 3, HL-2, and Battlefield 2. Yes it'll play them but the framerates won't be great and you'll have to play them at low settings.

You should also be aware the most laptops are not very upgradeable and those that are require compatible and expensive parts - at least for video upgrades. RAM upgrades are inexpensive and easy.

Using laptops to play games is a bad idea in my opinion. It reduces their life. As you know heat is generated by all computers, and heat is bad for electronics and mechanical parts inside the laptop. When gaming any laptop is going to be pretty darn warm.

Also most gaming laptops are not portable, they weigh a lot, and they have terrible to non-existant battery life.

If you really want a gaming laptop then look at Alienware or Falcon Northwest. There's one or two more companies that make high performance laptops. Don't bother with Gateway, Compaq/HP, Toshiba, IBM, or even Dell and Acer you do have some nicer laptops but not quite good enough.

4. Dave_Snow

Dave_Snow

Thats true. I honestly don't like gaming on a laptop anyways but if your far from home and want to game, thats the time to do it.

5. kainy

kainy Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I got a really good deal on a laptop, I'll have to think more about it. Battlefield 2 ran on it, but like Triple6 said, it was on medium/low settings.

6. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Triple6 gave you good advice but a bit elitist. If we all bought only the the latest-greatest-up-to-datest equipment we would all be very satisfied. But the VAST majority of us cannot afford mega bucks equipment just to be able to wring the last "frame outta the rate". It's like paying $599 for a top end video card in order to play a $49 game. If you can afford it, go for it. My Compaq RS3240 is handling everything I throw at and I can live with 1024 X 768. But like Triple6 said, there are a few high end units out there and if I could, I would buy one. I cannot, so I'll be quite content with what I have.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice