1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gaming Notebook

Discussion in 'Games' started by halcour, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halcour

halcour Thread Starter

I'm currently saving up to buy moiself a gaming notebook. My budget will be about $1600ish and I should be at that goal in May. I'm really excited as this will be the first notebook I've ever bought. One of my jobs I work third shift 3 nights a week as a hotel desk clerk. This can be a very quiet shift and being able to play games, watch media, and surf the interwebs will definitely make the nights pass faster.

I've been bouncing around the net doing research and this price point should get me a pretty decent system: 17" screen, 8-12 gb ram, SSD hd, 500-750gb SATA hd, Core i5-i7, vid card w/2 gb ram, DVD drive, wifi, Win OS. One thing I don't care about is battery life as I will only use this at the hotel where I can plug it in while in use.

I'm not an experienced gamer and haven't had a notebook in years, so I have a few questions: Will this system handle most of the current games out there and should it be good for the next few years at least? I don't need it to necessarily play the latest and greatest at the highest resolution but I do want to be able to have a good choice of material to play for the next few years before I have to start considering upgrading. I'm mainly interested in FPS games.

Anyone have experience with Powernotebooks.com? They let you customize the system and the prices seem decent, with free shipping. Any other sites I should check that have good reputations, good prices, and that let you customize?

I've read a couple of reviews that say Optimus is not really good for gaming and thus gaming notebooks without it are better. Yes, no?

I plan to have a 128gb SSD installed. In addition to the OS (Win 7 64-bit preferably), will this be large enough to hold at least one game at at time?

Do new models come out at a specific time of the year? Spring? Summer? I'm just wondering if they are coming out in the spring then the 2012 models I'm looking at now may be discounted by the time I'm ready to buy in May.

Thanks for any input!

2. s1l3nced

s1l3nced

Will this system handle most of the current games out there and should it be good for the next few years at least?
    If you focus on the graphics card, yes. See, a 3rd generation i5 processor is really all you need. Pair that up with a beastly graphics card and 6+ gigs of RAM and you should be fine to play most games. Playing them on ULTRA settings with MAX resolution (1080+) might not give you 80+ FPS (in certain games yes, but not all). The bottom line: If you're spending $1600 on a laptop, the game should run fine. If you want to play it on MAX POSSIBLE EVERYTHING and get really high FPS, spend $2000+.

I don't need it to necessarily play the latest and greatest at the highest resolution
    Don't be pessimistic. Spending $1600 on a laptop will most definitely allow you to play at the highest (native) resolution your laptop supports. You should be able to play any game on at least High settings (Ultra maybe).

I plan to have a 128gb SSD installed
    Great choice. Truth be told, an SSD upgrade is the single most cost-effective hardware upgrade anybody can do, if not already using one.

Do new models come out at a specific time of the year? Spring? Summer?
    Rather than to give you an answer on that, I think the best thing for you to do is to keep your eyes peeled on certain websites, to see if there's any deals on their gaming notebooks. Buying a brand spanking new laptop might yield diminishing returns as the price-point will be at it's highest, and the hardware will depreciate in value considerably quick in the later months. My personal advice: Wait until it comes out, then purchase it the second it drops in price or goes on sale.

Anyone have experience with Powernotebooks.com? They let you customize the system and the prices seem decent, with free shipping. Any other sites I should check that have good reputations, good prices, and that let you customize?
    While I can't give you the answer you seek in regards to the websites utilized to customize/build your custom notebook, I can give you my $0.02. Buy one that's already been built. These "customizable"/"build your own" websites usually overprice / charge extra basically for the convenience of you telling them what you want in it. Now I may be mistaken, and if I am, please correct me, and by all means, take advantage of that option. Again, just my $0.02.

3. fraganegra

fraganegra

I have bought from xmx.de and one.de in the past desktop and laptop and i have been very happy with the purchase.

currently you can buy ( sorry for some of the german this was copy paste from the website but it should be understandable)

17,3 Zoll, 43,94 cm, FULL HD Non Glare Type Display mit LED-Backlight (1920x1080 Pixel)
    Intel Core i5-3210M Prozessor (2 x 2.50 - 2 x 3.10 GHz in Turbo Mode )
    - 8192 MB DDR3 Speicher 1600 MHz
    - 500 GB SATA Festplatte
    - Blu-Ray ROM / DVD Brenner Laufwerk
    - 2048 MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M

see full specs http://www.xmx.de/shop/product_info.php?products_id=7408 ( use google translator if you need :p thats how i ordered mine)

for 829 eur or the equivalent (19/01/13 source: www.xe.com = 1,103.79 USD )

you have the possibility to keep the 500 gb and add for example the 128GB SATA III Samsung 840 SSD and the final price becomes 983,99 € excl shipping or (19/01/13 source: www.xe.com = 1,308.83 USD)

you can also subsitute the 128GB SATA III Samsung 840 SSD and the final price becomes 943,99 € excl shipping or (19/01/13 source: www.xe.com = 1,256.91 USD )

I recalled paying 40 eur (53USD) for shipping a desktop within europe around a year ago. If your outside of europe shipping will obviously be more expensive but perhaps since we are talking about a laptop which weighs way less you might be fortunate enough to have the values be more or less similar.

I bought mine without an OS and the installed it myself you can however include an OS which by default will come in german ( apply a language pack to fix this to english)

the xms desktops/laptops are delivered with a 20% overclocking

Note that you should investigate if any additional costs apply at the customs
    Note that you have the disadvantage if your laptop breaks within warranty and you want to deliver it
    you will have to send it back to germany

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice