Gaming PC crashes when playing Overwatch & usb port problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

potatoking

Here is the info about my computer:
My system:
Motherboard: AsRock 880GXH/USB3 AM3 Northbridge: 880G Southbridge: SB710 ATX
RAM DDR3 1333 8GB - (2 x 4GB) G.Skill
CPU Phenom II x4 910
PSU Corsai 550W
HDD 320GB HDD Western Digital - Blue
Graphics Card Nvidia (Gigabyte Windforce) GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Operating System Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit
PC Case Raijintek - Agos Full ATX

I just upgraded my PSU from evga 430W today to see if that would fix the problem. I am able to start my computer every time I turn it on now, but that is all it fixed.

When starting my computer, although now it starts up every time, the usb ports don't work sometimes which forces me to restart my computer because I have no other choice.

Although I can launch Overwatch for the most part, as soon as i press join match or am in my first match, my computer screen will go black, my usb ports won't work, but my computer will still have fans going and gpu lit up.
Nothing is overheating.

Thank you!

crjdriver

Corsair makes a lot of 550W pw supplies. Post the exact ie AX550 or whatever. Next issue; win8 is NOT a supported operating system for your motherboard. Latest listed os is win7. Here is the support page for your board;
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GXHUSB3/#Specification
Supported os are listed in the support>download section.

Next your board is now 7yrs old. Give it a VERY close inspection with a bright light. See if you find any capacitors that look like the pics below.

Attachments

crjdriver

As a simple test, boot the system with a linux live usb/dvd. See if you have the same usb problems with linux. If you do, then you know you have a hardware problem. If the usb ports work fine under linux, then you know you have a window/driver/unsupported operating system problem.

potatoking

Corsair makes a lot of 550W pw supplies. Post the exact ie AX550 or whatever. Next issue; win8 is NOT a supported operating system for your motherboard. Latest listed os is win7. Here is the support page for your board;
http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GXHUSB3/#Specification
Supported os are listed in the support>download section.

Next your board is now 7yrs old. Give it a VERY close inspection with a bright light. See if you find any capacitors that look like the pics below.
First off, thank you for replying!

I bought this computer off of someone so I was unaware that I shouldn't be using windows 8... I tried to look it up, but is that really bad for my computer? I'm sorry, I can't find info online about it.

My psu: corsair CX series CX550 550w 80+ bronze

I also tried to check out the capacitors but I only have the ones that I attached to this post (pics) so I am unsure how to check.

I will try the usb tomorrow

Attachments

crjdriver

When you use an unsupported os, you are in effect a beta tester. Might work fine and it might not work fine. Just because an operating system is not listed as supported does not mean it will not work. It means it was never tested and found to work AND the fact that the mfg does not want to devote time/money into writing drivers for obsolete hardware.
The caps in the pic you attached look fine however you have a LOT more capacitors on that board. Here is a pic of your motherboard. As you can see, there are caps all over the board. It appears that you have solid state caps so those do not generally pose a problem.
One last item. The cx series from corsair is not designed nor intended for gaming, overclocking, or any other stressful endeavor. It is for a basic build ONLY ie onboard/onchip video, running office, home theater system, etc. See this quote from the corsair site;
CX-M and CX Series PC power supplies are an excellent choice for basic system builds

Attachments

potatoking

As a simple test, boot the system with a linux live usb/dvd. See if you have the same usb problems with linux. If you do, then you know you have a hardware problem. If the usb ports work fine under linux, then you know you have a window/driver/unsupported operating system problem.
before I tried to do that I was on my computer and it kept freezing or shutting down randomly. I went to try that, but I didnt even get the chance because now my computer is back to the stage of the machine starting up, but nothing happening on the monitor, and if it does somewhat load, it kind of freezes, but that doesnt happen often..... This is just so frustrating, do you think I should even continue with this computer anymore?

crjdriver

You are going to have to swap parts with known good units ie ram, motherboard, pw supply, etc.
Just my opinion however I would not be investing money in 7yr old tech AND it was low end stuff when it was mfg. If you want to do this as a learning experience, then it would be fine to invest time/money. If you are not repairing it as a learning experience, then it is a waste of money.

potatoking

You are going to have to swap parts with known good units ie ram, motherboard, pw supply, etc.
Just my opinion however I would not be investing money in 7yr old tech AND it was low end stuff when it was mfg. If you want to do this as a learning experience, then it would be fine to invest time/money. If you are not repairing it as a learning experience, then it is a waste of money.
well I only spent $250 on it, so I don't mind upgrading. Why would it be bad to updgrade everything at this point? I am thinking about just buying a new motherboard that supports the system as is to see if that would work?

crjdriver

If you want to replace all of the parts, then fine. If you just replace the motherboard, you do not know if that is the cause AND you are going to need a modern cpu and memory to go with the new board.
Since you game with the system, you are going to need a high end board and an i5 or i7 processor along with ddr4 memory. Again this will not be cheap however if you replace board, cpu, and memory, you will most likely have fixed the cause of your problem. You still have a cx pw supply that is not designed for gaming and that may or may not have to be replaced.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online