1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gaming Specs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cappedkey, Aug 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cappedkey

cappedkey Thread Starter

Ok, I am a novice when it comes to hardware. I am looking for a something to Boost my gaming to the point where The Elder scrolls: Oblivion would run fine on my system. Right now everything is factory. So I am wondering what I need to increase my capabilities to that point, Which I stated earlier. I am willing to spend 150$ right now for upgrades, and need to know what I would need for the job. I wrote down my specs when I joined. I dont know if you can see them,but if you need them I will be happy to post them. I am thinking I need a very nice video card and more ram. But how much ram and what video card? And maybe a price on how much I would have to spend. I am taking all recommendations. In advance I appreciate the help and advice.

Thanks.

2. BG-0

BG-0

I cannot find any information or pics of your system at the instance, so I cannot say anything definite.
    These two should be good for you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008 + http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161287
    The 4670 will in a few weeks be replaced by 5650, which will perform the same or better, cost a little less and produce less heat, consume less power and have DirectX11 capability (which you don't need/can't even use for Oblivion, but it'll be good to have).
    More RAM would help, too, but I really can't know what kind as I can't find any info on things. Please post back in this thread soon so that I get an subscription update and won't forget to get further into this when I have a bit more time.

3. cappedkey

cappedkey Thread Starter

Let me go ahead and throw out my specs.

Dell Dimension DM061
    Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) CPU 2.80GHz
    2.79GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

Chip Type: Intel(R) GMA 3000
    DAC Type: Internal
    Memory Size: 256 MB
    Adapter String: Intel(R) G965 Express Chipset Family
    Bios Information: Intel Video BIOS

Everything is default.

I will check back in a few.

Thanks.

4. BG-0

BG-0

That's a bit better... Though, I still can't find anything useful when I google (Dell) Dimension DM061, and have no idea which route at the dell site I'd need to take to find anything, if it even exists at the site.
    Seems like you could maybe have a Dimension E520, DM061 just being... I have no idea. In that case, get those !(after making sure you have enough space inside the case for both the card and power supply)!, and one or two of these RAM kits (1 kit will do nicely, I'd say it's even recommended to not use the old, slower RAM, have 2 GB of faster RAM instead of 3 GB of slowed down RAM): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146526

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/856729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice