1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gaobot Virus - Still Infected?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by delahot, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. delahot

delahot Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I am new to this site and saw lots of helpful replies so hopefully you can assist me.
    I have an NT4 domain containing a few W2k File servers. We were hit with the Gaobot virus
    (2 different variants). We have followed all the removal guidelines, patched the servers
    and are running the latest definitions. However, there appears to be a bit of a legacy left
    over from the virus activity and I need some help in sorting this out. Formatting is not
    really an option or certainly only a very last resort.

The odd things which are occurring are: mystery process not noted which is taking up about
    20 % of the CPU. Even when idle the system randomly shows 60-80% idle time when it is
    normally 99%. When trying to add a new machine into the domain it will not allow this.
    It will not allow users (formerly with no problems) access to network shares. When you
    remove and try to add the machien back into the domain (to recreate the SID) it will
    not allow you to do this. A new administrator account on the domain has been created
    in case of any problems with the former account post virus but this has made no difference.

Any help would be much much appreciated. :confused:

Thanks

Tina.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice