1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Garage Door Opener Capacitor

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by tootoomuch, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tootoomuch

tootoomuch Thread Starter

My garage door opener won't open and is humming when plugged in. From research, sounds like a capacitor. Problem is when I remove the cover, nothing looks like any capacitor I have found on the internet.
    Opener is an Overhead Door R 80Z chain drive--very old. Would really appreciate some direction.

2. wacor

wacor Banned

if you have an ohm meter you can check the capacitor

you could call a motor repair shop or garage door installers to get the capacitor

you want to match the MFD and VAC to what you have.

physical size is not important as long as the capacitor has the same MFD and VAC

3. tootoomuch

Please forgive my ignorance, but can a capacitor be housed in a small metal case approx 2" x 2". The wires are connected directly to the metal housing. It has Cat 550-32 & Coil 24 Vac 1D stamped on it. I can't even figure out where the capacitor is. I googled for pics of garage door openers and my setup looks like nothing else I found.

4. wacor

wacor Banned

I would suspect it would be a tube shape like these.
    could be an aluminum or plastic housing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Capacitors_Various.jpg

can you take a picture of the inside of the opener?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Actually, from my experience with several brands, a garage door humming is more likely to be the limit switches not being properly actuated, or the push button (or transmitter relay) being stuck on. I've had both of these happen in different brands of openers.

6. tootoomuch

Wow! I finally found the capacitors. I followed the wires out of the motor to a shelf I didn't even think it was possible to reach. Now I just need to turn a tap it is impossible to reach and I should have them. Thanks for all of your help. I will take these in to be tested and if that's not it, will try the limit switch.

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm guessing that this won't be the capacitor. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755575