1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

garbled text - igoogle date & time gadget and hotmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by marie218, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marie218

marie218 Thread Starter

Hello,
    Christmas Eve my computer would only go to the XP screen and no further. I saw no way around this (I could not access safe mode and not sure of my options if I were able to!) and used my system recovery disks. I have spent days loading upgrades as it is an old laptop. I have loaded IE8 and use igoogle as a homepage. The date and time gadget that I used to use when added to the page is all garbled. This is the first place I noticed this. I then tried to reply to an email using hotmail and the reply window shows alot of garbled text and does not allow me to enter text. I looked around for solutions, I tried changing to UTF-8 and this did not help. Other postings seem to point to a corrupted font - I don't think so as the fonts are different in the 2 applications. The more I think about it, I think the igoogle ap is an image and is converting the image to garbled text. I have no clue what hotmail is trying to do. Any solutions you could send my way would be most appreciated.
    System info gathered by your ap:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 446 Mb
    Graphics Card: RADEON IGP 345M, 64 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 38146 MB, Free - 23068 MB; J: Total - 286111 MB, Free - 262243 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard , 0850 , NS570 Version PQ1B41 , None
    Antivirus: None
    Thanks for your help!
    Marie

2. marie218

marie218 Thread Starter

Solved email garbled text - removed IE8!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971768

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice