1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Garmin 82GDL download problem

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by patchgirl, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. patchgirl

patchgirl Thread Starter

Please help. I am using a Windows 7 PC but generally use a Mac ...so that is the first problem. I'm downloading an application off the internet from the Garmin Website. After downloading it, I'm asked for it to be installed. I get it installed on the computer and put a shortcut to it on the desktop. (The App is a download to configure a Garmin GDL82 for ADSB-Out for an airplane.). I follow the Garmin instructions to hook up my computer to the device in the plane. I open the download and it keeps asking : Repair or Uninstall or Close. What am I doing wrong. I've done repair and it says it is repaired...but nothing happens. ??? Perhaps when it asks for it to be installed, and I'm thinking I will be installing to my computer, should I actually be hooked up to the plane. Should I be installing to computer or to the device in the plane.

This is very frustrating as we have to pull the plane out of the hangar so there is line of site for the GPS to catch it. Any ideas of what I'm not understanding ? Supposed to be very simple, but I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Try running the application from the menu and not the desktop shortcut.

Aside from that, and based strictly on the error, the application is not installing properly. I'm not familiar with that application, but ensure you are using the correct version for the OS (if applicable - ie: Win 7 32 bit or 64 bit).

3. patchgirl

patchgirl Thread Starter

Thanks, I have tried from the menu as well. Same thing. Sorry, but I'm a PC / Windows deficient. I know I'm using Windows 7 Professional. May I ask one probably stupid question. I thought I knew how to do this, but something going on that I'm not sure of. After I open the download it asks for the agreement then ask if you want it to install. Is this supposed to be installing the application onto the computer or possibly is it then supposed to be installing it to the device in the the plane? If that is the case maybe I'm not getting GPS set up done in time.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    How this usually works, you download the (Garmin) software and install it onto your computer. You then run the application from the computer and it will prompt you to connect the device. After the device is connected, the software scans it and will tell you if there are any updates. You can then update the software/maps/etc.

Configuration of the device shouldn't need a computer nor any software. That is done on the device itself. But again, I'm not familiar with that device that you are using.

At least that's the process for my Garmin UPS units that I use in my cars.

5. patchgirl

patchgirl Thread Starter

So when it ask if you want to install, that is just to the computer? If that is correct, then there is no prompt to install into the ADSB and all it says is do you want to repair or uninstall?

6. patchgirl

patchgirl Thread Starter

This is not a GPS unit. It is a Garmin GDL82 ADSB-out that is required in all airplanes by the end of 2019. It does take a computer to set it up and configure it. Unfortunately it requires a PC and I didn't have a PC laptop, so I had to borrow one. Learning curve or something. I guess I'll be calling Garmin tech support tomorrow morning. Hassle, because we have to move planes and hook everything up outside for it to connect to the GPS.

7. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Yes, the install question is referring to actually installing the software onto the PC. After the software is installed, and you open the software, you should be prompted to connect it to the device (via USB). At which point you will be able to update/setup/configure the device.

From what you have stated so far, you aren't making it past the software installation process.

Try to right click on the .exe file (the file which you downloaded), and choose "Run as Administrator". If the software installs properly, you should be able to open it from the All Programs menu and it should actually open...not prompt you to repair.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  8. patchgirl

patchgirl Thread Starter

Yes I will give that a try. Thanks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice