1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway 4620D not powering on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LinuxGold, Jan 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

When the computer is turned on, it boots up normally and was running fine. After a period of time and reboots it will not turn back on. The redemy to get it fixed is to unplug the power cord and plug it back in. Sometimes it will not work, when that happens, I opened up case, unplugged RAM stick from socket and reseat to temporarily fix the problem. Then it repeat all over again.

What is causing this failure?

2. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

3. norton850

norton850

A couple of things to consider. It could be overheating and your routine gives it time to cool down. Does it stay on for awhile after you pull the plug? A failing power supply may also do this.

4. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

It stay on for a while (anywhere from a day to two weeks later) after I pull the plug.

5. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

UGH! Here is new discovery on THAT workstation... I took cases off, cleared out heavy dust, reseated CPU, RAM, plugs and put in new thermal paste. Decided to leave case open, I found something....

When shutting down windows the blue LED in front went out, but both FANS are still running, NIC LEDS are still flickering as expected. Monitor seem to "black out", Monitor's LED went from green to yellow.

I decided to press and hold the power switch in front until both fans turned off, then power back on -- and ALAS it went back on without having to unplug and plug the power cord back in.

I decided to further test this -- booted back into windows then have it REBOOT, it shut down, POWERED OFF the system then turned it back on as it should. From there I know system is able to turn itself off, there might be a missing flag or flawed BIOS where it failed to power off.

I removed Windows XP, installed Fedora 14, went into CLI (Command Line Interface) and performed shut down, and I got what I was LOOKING for! Fedora killed all services then on the last line:

[ 6705.019519 ] Power down.

The monitor is STILL on, that last line is still showing BUT on computer, the BLUE LED went out, fans still running. I assume that it is in "power off" state, except it is not powered off.

Any ideas?

6. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

**Bump**

20 workstations are experiencing the exact same thing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977140

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice