1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway 507GR Wont Power-On after Power Surge

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pvtidy, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pvtidy

pvtidy Thread Starter

Gateway 507GR Wont Power-On after a power surge. Had slight hissing noise in the Bestec power supply, replaced it, and it still will not always power-on. If I switch the a/c power on/off really fast while holding the power button, it will fully power-on after a few minutes of toying with it (tricky). Tested this new power supply in another machine, works perfectly, and so it's the board that's not powering-on. Removed the board and looked closely at the caps for swelling leakage, but what should I be looking for on the board after pwr surge? Any techs here familiar with this board/situation, very common that the failing bestec pwr supply takes out the board, the Intel E210882 MOBO. Thanks in advance.
    PVT

2. win2kpro

win2kpro

It's most likely that the board start circuitry is damaged. Unless you have a blown capacitor (which I doubt) generally on the board you will never physically see the exact component damage.

Just as a note, the number you posted, i.e. Intel E210882 is not a model number, that is the UL file number. If you have to replace the board, the board's Gateway code name is Augsburg, so you would look for a Gateway Augsburg board as a direct replacement.

I should have put this link in for you. Here are all the specs for your machine.

http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/4658/4658nv.shtml

3. pvtidy

pvtidy Thread Starter

win2kpro,
    It's tricky to get started the first time, but once it does power-on, it will then power on and off perfectly, as long as I leave it plugged in. This is what had me looking at the caps. Anyone here that might be familiar with this board problem?
    Thanks,
    PV

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

There are a couple of things you might try.

#1-Test the power supply with a power supply tester that tests the PG signal. On a good power supply the signal should be less than 500ms.

#2-This I stumbled on completely by accident, but it worked for me. Capacitors of course can be defective even if they are not physically "blown" or have swollen or bulging tops. Go here;

http://www.memtest.org/

download a pre-compiled file and build a bootable CD or floppy. Boot with the media and run Memtest. What I found is there are defective capacitors a lot of errors will show up in the memory that are not really memory errors.

A couple of years ago I had a machine in for service that was giving me all kinds of problems. I decided to run Memtest and it indicated there were 300+ errors in memory. I believed the memory was good since it was brand new from a company from which I have never gotten a bad stick of memory. I put the memory in two other machines, ran Memtest and there were no errors.

The end result was the board that was giving me all the problems had bad caps although there was no outward sign they were defective.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!