1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway Boot Hangs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TucsonAZ, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Thread Starter

Im trying to fix my sisters computer.

During boot up it only shows the video driver
    nvidia gforce3 driver then it goes black, then the gateway screen loads and hangs/locks

Ive tried a new video card, Ive tried a new processor, Ive tried my hard drive on her board, Ive tried her hard drive on my board (same thing loads)
    I tried reseating the battery to flash the board

Is it her Hard drive and board? I cant figure it out.
    I thought I would just take her hd and put it in my old gateway and give it to her but it just does the same thing.
    I also tried my hd on her computer and still same thing.
    I added a stick of SD Ram.
    There are no beep/post codes.

I believe she has XP- nothing loads so I cant tell.
    Do you have any ideas?

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Welcome,

When you moved the Hard drive from her PC to yours did you set the jumpers on it to Slave?

Your Hard drive will not boot up on hers unless it is exactly the same hardware and chipsets etc....not likely

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try reflashing the BIOS. Gateway has downloads for that.

Also, enter BIOS setup and see if you can turn off the Gateway splash screen to show more information.

4. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Thread Starter

I tried both of my hard drives, one is set to slave one is set to master, after reading your reply I double checked and tried the master again? Still the same gateway screen.

I cant get into the Bios setup, I know normally you see press F1 F2 ESC or DEL when it appears on screen, which it doesnt, and When I tried pressing them anyways, they still wont load into the Bios?
    It doesnt seem that the Bios is loading at all.?

5. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Thread Starter

I am going to try that before I go to class, I will let you know what happens. Thanks

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

I would tap F8 as soon as you hit the power button and you should get a screen up for safe mode and see if you can get into safe mode. As you get the safe mode choice, see if you also get a choice to start with "vga drivers" and if you do choose that. Looks like the video driver is whacked and you need to get into vga drivers to go further on bootup.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Some Gateway boards require a jumper on the mainboard to be moved before you can access BIOS. It is usually marked fairly clearly. The machine won't boot with the jumper in the BIOS position but you can then get into setup.

8. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Thread Starter

Safe Mode doesnt work, I tried F8 also. thank you

9. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Thread Starter

I will try this, Im also going to try setting her HD to slave on my machine again and formatting it, had a gy at work check it today, says the OS is messed up, probably when the Processor heated up, it messed up the MB and took a couple things a long with it.

I can format her drive, pop it into my old gateway and give it to her to use.

10. TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ Thread Starter

Thank everyone for their help on this.
    I was able to get her hard drive set as slave and load it on my pc. Viewed contents, no os on it, pulled her data over t omy drive, formatted it.
    Now I want to re-install the OS on it.
    How do it do that.
    I tried putting the CD in and it never asked me what drive I want to install it on.

What is a good way to do it, with her drive set to Slave without messing up my OS, which is Win 2k.

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544368

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice