Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  AliceMare 
#1 ·
Hello, I've been having trouble with an old Gateway desktop for some time now. About a month ago, I had installed a graphics card to the computer and the computer had recognized it, but never used it(it always said second priority). Whenever I disabled the onboard graphics, the screen would go blank and say "No Signal". So I went into the BIOS settings and changed the graphics to the PCI-Express slot as the 1st selection, and when I did that, the monitor didn't have any signal, so I had to reset the CMOS. The graphics card still did not work, but after a few days or a week, when I had turned it on again, the computer would not turn on at all. The power button would just keep flashing. I looked up why this could be online and it kept saying things about the Mobo, RAM, PSU, CPU, and the CMOS. I tried removing the RAM and cleaning the fans on the inside, but it still didn't turn on. I even tried plugging the desktop directly to the wall outlet and the power button still flashed. Then I got an adapter for the graphics card so I could connect the display to the card and not the Mobo, and I got the same result. After that, I had taken a break from it for a little while.

It wasn't until yesterday when the display came back and the computer actually turned on. Though, the first I turned it on, I got a BSOD saying "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" and when I turned it back on, the Windows System Recovery had fixed it (I'm hoping) and I could access Windows. Though, there was a weird message mentioning something about "nvram", "low power", and "date and time reset"(probably because I had the CMOS jumper on reset). The graphics card was being used this time and everything worked fine, except for the taskbar, which the icons were blank in the bottom right corner.

Today, I had put the jumper back to default, so the CMOS won't reset anymore and when I turned it on, the blue power button keeps flashing. As of now, I just want to know what component(s) are making it act this way and if I need to replace anything or do anything to make it function normally. If you would like to know any additional info, please feel free to ask me. Any help would be highly appreciated and have a wonderful day!

- Alice

Gateway Model: LX6200-01
Specs: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883113077

Graphics Card: ATI HD 4670

See less See more
#2 ·
Just a note, the CMOS jumper is supposed to only be used to reset the CMOS with the computer powered down and un plugged from power source. Having it in reset while powering up may damage the motherboard and drain the CMOS battery. Might try replacing the battery. Your computer is VISTA vintage(2009), need to check or try another power supply, those usually go first. It is possible there is a Problem with the CPU,( saw a post about
"Only boots with CMOS jumper in reset" had bad CPU)
thermal grease may be bad after nine years, Can you get into the Bios and look at the temperatures? I think 70C is max.

#3 ·
Hello,
My, if I had known that resetting the CMOS with the conditions I had reset it in, I would've been more careful and cautious. I am considering swapping the PSU with another PC's when I get the chance. Unfortunately, I cannot go into BIOS because my PC won't boot properly and I believe you may be right that there could be a problem with my CPU. I remember in the past (about 2 years), there is this irritating, loud grinding noise coming from the PC. I lifted the case one day and gave it a closer hearing, but I couldn't tell which fan it was coming from. Though, it was in the back where the CPU fan and PSU fans are located, so I couldn't have been the HD. And if I do have to replace the CPU, what cautions should I take before replacing it? I'll try reading up on that post about the pc booting up in reset and just CPU basics as well to help.

I understand this a pretty old machine, but I'm still willing to work with it and many things probably do need to be upgraded anyways from the many years of usage. Thank you for reaching out helping me and informing me about the CMOS! I'm very ignorant when it comes to computers, so thank you again and have a nice day!

-Alice

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.