1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway E4100 Power Supply Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stanl1, Apr 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stanl1

stanl1 Thread Starter

I Have a Gateway E 4100 with a odd power up problem The computer would power up sometimes and not others. Ultimately, it stopped altogether. I removed the power supply and tested it: it was bad so I bought another and installed it. Pressing the power switch would not start up computer. I pressed the TEST button on the PS and the PS lamp came on and the fans started and MB lamps lit. Then I released the test button, all went dead. I tried to start the PSU by shorting the two contacts on the MB but that did not work. Just for grins, I pressed the power button AND pressed the PS test button: the computer came up and worked fine.

My guess is that the MB circuit that sends the grounding signal to the MB power connector is not working. f this is true, the MB is the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks , in advance for any help

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Gateway computers (like E-Machines which are the same company) use very cheap power supplies. Very frequently when a gateway power supply goes bad it damages other equipment including the Motherboard. Yes it could well be that the motherboard has been damaged by the original power supply problem.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My guess [and it is only a guess] is that the circuit that senses the "power good signal" on the board has failed. As dusty pointed out gateway/emachines use very cheap, low end parts and it is very possible that when the pw supply failed it fried the mb, ram, etc.

That system appears to be approx 10yrs old and IMO it is not worth attempting to fix.

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

My guess [and it is only a guess] is that the circuit that senses the "power good signal" on the board has failed. As dusty pointed out gateway/emachines use very cheap, low end parts and it is very possible that when the pw supply failed it fried the mb, ram, etc.

That system appears to be approx 10yrs old and IMO it is not worth attempting to fix.

5. stanl1

stanl1 Thread Starter

cridriver, thanks for your input. I agree, the mobo is the culprit.

stanl1

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!