1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gateway essental 350 illegal windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by beastxkingx16, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beastxkingx16

beastxkingx16 Thread Starter

my 2000 gateway essential 350 was build with windows 98 software but about a year ago I installed an illegal windows xp that my friend had. Now the problem is that the memory in the computer is extremely low and i can't even run the computer on.so i don't now to either change it to a legal windows xp because i have a zune or change it back to windows 98 or buy more memory. Please help me because im new to this.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Well it is not a good thing with an illegal version of windows but if you want a legal one you are just going to ahve to purchase one from a local retailer or call Microsoft they will sell you a legal version fairly cheap. Also while doing htis you can also purchase some memory while you are at it.

Computers are not the cheapest things in the world but if you want them running right you just gotta take care of them properly

Have a good day....

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What is the processor type and speed, and what is the amount of RAM in your 8-year old Gateway Essential 350? Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties. What does it show in the General and Performance tabs?

Whether your Windows XP is a legal or illegal copy, your computer is still going to run like a snail if the processor and RAM aren't up to snuff. Windows XP needs a lot more processor speed and RAM than Windows 98 does.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Are you sure the model number is 350? Could it possibly be a G6-350?

If it is, the hardware specs show it having an Intel Pentium II 300 MHz processor, 64 MB of PC-100 RAM, and a 6.4 GB hard drive.

It's supposedly capable of supporting up to 384 MB of PC-100 RAM. Even if it was maxed out with RAM, the processor speed would be the big performance bottleneck in getting it to run at a decent speed.

With such a small hard drive, you're not going to have much room to install many programs after Windows XP is installed.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice