1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway GT5056 motherboard failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NASC2000, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NASC2000

NASC2000 Thread Starter

Hi,
    We have a Gateway GT5056 with AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core processor running XP. The computer showed no signs of life other than the fan and a green light the other day when we tried to turn it on after a normal shutdown. We temporarily switched out the power supply and it still didn't work so we submitted it for a store for a better diagnostic and the motherboard is dead. This comes after our DVD burner hardware seized up two months ago and we had to replace it. We don't use the computer heavily so we are surprised by the recent troubles.

There was an old thread on this site recommending a motherboard or combo similar to ours (Foxconn G51GUIO1) but the link is broken. Is there a new source for one that someone can recommend? Also, does it make any sense at this point to even try to replace it? Is the death of DVD burner and the motherboard merely a foreshadowing of an ongoing computer meltdown requiring piecemeal replacements every few months from now on?

I'm not a computer geek, but I am willing to try a replacement if it is fairly straightforward and more IT-savvy people think that it is worth it.

Thanks,
    Nancy

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

The trouble with changing a motherboard with that PC is that unless you can find an exact same make and model it won't fit into that case. That means that you will have to switch a low quality motherboard for an identical low quality replacement.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

The Gateway site indicates the GT5056 uses a Foxconn C51GU01 motherboard. This board is a µBTX form factor board and I don't believe µBTX form factor boards have been manufactured since 2006 or early 2007. If you find a new one I would expect the cost to high perhaps $250+.

Personally I wouldn't put that amount of money in a BTX form factor board. In my opinion, it's time to start over with a new machine.

4. NASC2000

NASC2000 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I think that we will buy a new computer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good vendor that make computers to be more repairable, upgradable (ie. not such a proprietary configuration that only their specific part fits) or do we have to get a custom build? We are in the Southern MD/Washington, DC area.

Thanks again.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

All OEM machines are going to be upgrade limited. If I didn't build my own machines and was forced to purchase an OEM machine it would be a Dell simply because I believe Dell uses better components than the other OEMS. My 2nd choice would be an HP but not the HP Compaq line.

I would want a machine with a standard ATX motherboard (no slimlines, etc) with a full set of recovery discs. Most manufacturers today put a recovery partition on the hard drive so if you purchase a machine with that feature make sure the very 1st thing you do is burn a set of recovery CD's or DVD's, sooner or later you will need them.

Just my opinion.

6. NASC2000

NASC2000 Thread Starter

Thanks again. We discussed it and have decided to make the leap and try to build our own. We just can't bring ourselves to buy another computer full of low quality stuff. Hopefully we are not leaping off a cliff. We're not computer geeks, but we're both civil engineers so we're fairly technical. Thanks for the advice and wish us luck!

Nancy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915416

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice