1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway Gt5235E Keeps Crashing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pirky, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pirky

pirky Thread Starter

Hello All.
    This is a problem child pc. I am running Windows xp media center edition 2005 .
    I pruchased this pc from ubid.com last Aug. and have had problem after problem with it .
    First the modem would only work slowwww. 1.1 Then the battery stop working for each time I turned on the pc I needed to re-enter the time and date. Then about Nov I was typing an email and the screen went black. When the system rebooted the error came up no os can be found. After emailimg Gateway with my other pc and 20.00 later they sent me a systems restore disk. By Jan. 4 2008 I was happy it was back up and running again.
    By Jan.20 2008 It crashed again. ( and each time it crashed it would wipe out the os) Three days later back up . From that time it has crashed more then ten time.
    I found a forum and was told I may have a bad memory stick. They told me of a test I could run (only works now memory adds no program to pc) . And the first time there was an error. So I tried it with only one memory stick no errors. Then took that one out and put the other one in and ran the test again . This time 125 errors came up. After getting good glasses I could see where there looks like a repair was made to the memory stick.
    Now this did not come from gateway but they said they would replace the bad memory stick free (NOT) it was a 512MB and they wonted me to spend 75.00 so they could send two new memory sticks. But I had ordered new memory from crucial at 1GB each for around 45.00 for both. After installing the new memory the system runs the same slow.
    I don't download anything for download speed starts at 20kb/s and falls to 3.25kb/s and on a clear day it will fall to 350byts/s.
    My question is should I next replace the motherboard or could it be the processor ?
    By the time I am done it would of been cheeper to buy a new one But not from ubid.com
    I was told that there may be damage from the bad memory stick and I would have to work around it,

2. Jeruvy

Jeruvy

I always buy motherboards/cpu and ram together at once. Unless you can accurately diagnose the motherboard and/or CPU you'll be hard pressed to find out if one or the other is the problem.

I'd simply replace this all together, but make sure any hardware you want to move to the new board also 'passes ok' in other words your hard disk is in good shape and tuned up, your video card will fit and work, etc.

Good luck.

3. pirky

pirky Thread Starter

Well I know the motherboard is going to be a problem for when I ran the Crucial test for memory they came up with the motherboard model as being K2BC51G/PV . When I emailed them and told them on the motherboard I have is K2BC51 LF they could not answer why there test was different . So would a motherboard with there number work or should I just change the whole system?

4. d4rkside

d4rkside

computer still wouldnt be under warranty, correct?
    try to find a used motherboard for that, from like ebay or something

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice