1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway GT5654 will not power on

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xmatter, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xmatter

xmatter Thread Starter

I have a Gateway GT5654 desktop and one day it just stopped powering on. So far i have taken the power supply out and tested it within another computer, it was fine. I have also replaced the CMOS Battery. Even went to the extent of removing thermal paste from processor and putting new paste in. The Gateway just won't do anything, except for *sometimes* the MoBo fan running for a couple seconds. Maybe a bad power switch? Bad MoBo? I have searched several sites, and there was no exact answer to this. Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, fixes for this issue. Thanks in advance!

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

3. xmatter

xmatter Thread Starter

thank you for the reply, but they are all fine. i'm wondering if there is a way to start the pc without physically pushing the button.

4. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

5. xmatter

xmatter Thread Starter

didn't have to go to that extreme because i switched around the cables and now the power switch turns the ps on, ps fan on, cpu fan on but that is all. is there something that i am missing? could it be a cpu?

6. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

It may be a damaged motherboard that is causing the issue. The onboard video may have been damaged. Either that or the PSU has blown causing the motherboard to stop working by over volting it.

7. xmatter

xmatter Thread Starter

i would say that it is the onboard video card. The PSU is working fine on two seperate machines. It is possbiel that i can put in a new video card within a slot and the pc will work, or will it not work because the onboard card is damaged?

8. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

you could try it. see if you can borrow a card from someone so you don't have to buy one. Plug it in and plug the monitor into it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!