1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway incorrect on Linksys router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by williamc, May 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. williamc

williamc Thread Starter

Linksys router WRT54GX2 is configured with an IP address of 10.0.0.253 and has a static internet IP of 10.0.0.254 which is the ISP. However, all clients on DHCP get a gateway address of 10.0.0.253 which doesnt allow the client PC to reach the internet. The Gateway has to be 10.0.0.254. I attempted to make the change in advanced routing with a static router. 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.254
    It wouldnt take this change. I then went to the wireless device and attempted to make a static router using:
    route add 0.0.0.0 mask 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.254 metric 1
    This worked, but the laptop travels and the gateway will probably change. The fix needs to be on the router, any ideas? Can the router pass trafic from its ip (10.0.0.253) to the ISP device (10.0.0.254)?

William

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the router should be passing the internet signal around to the other PC's
    so you set up as login the fixed IP of 10.0.0.254

Then the router has a gateway IP of anything and the other devices get IP address

For example I use a user name and password and get an IP address of say 80.xx.xx.xx
    then my router is set to 192.168.0.1 as a default gateway
    then the devices get an IP in a range 192.168.0.1 - to .30 as set up in the configuration

I think you will find there is a firmware update to change the IP from 10.0.x.x to 192.168.x.x which is the current default

3. williamc

williamc Thread Starter

I have to use the 10.0.0.0 subnet due to other networks in the 192 range. If I enter static address as the following:

It works fine, but wont work for the user if he takes his laptop to a hot spot (its staic).

DHCP from the Linksys gives:

This doesnt work, as the gateway is wrong. I cant tell the linksys to pass all traffic from 253 to 254. This should be possible in advanced routing, but its not liking my routes.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i dont want to give you mis-information - but reading the manual off the website here
    http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...roductDownloadSearch&sp_prodsku=1124916804580

can you setup the static Ip address for the router IP of 10.0.0.254
    Page 15

and then on page 16 enable DHCP - you can specify the starting IP and range

Imay have missed the obvious here - so sorry

i'm sure I had a D-link working on a fixed IP from my ISP and DHCP for anything connectiong to the router

the fixed IP just established the gateway with the ISP for internet access

but that was a few years ago and to cut cost i the company we changed to a consumer service and DHCP at the ISP

5. Anton Wan

Anton Wan

How many computer and connected to this wireless router? I am wondering if you shut off DHCP and gave your "local computers" (if any) a static IP like the one you state when it works. I know on my labtop with XP under my wireless connection in My Network Places I can set my wireless adapter to "Obtain an IP address automatically". When I select this another tab shows up called "Alternate Configuration" under this tab you can set a static ip address. So if it fails to discover a DHCP server it will default on the alternate static ip address. I don't know if this was included in SP2. I find it to work great. This way you don't have to keep changing your network settings when you travel. I guess this doesn't solve your problem with your router but it might work for you.

TK

6. williamc

williamc Thread Starter

Giving the router an IP address of 10.0.0.254 wont work since the ip address of the ISP box is 10.0.0.254. Linksys catches this and says "duplicate IP detected". The only solution would be to foward traffic from the linksys (10.0.0.253) to the ISP box LAN side interface (10.0.0.254).

On a WRV54G VPN router, I can goto the Routing table and enter a static route of 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.0.0.254 to foward data. On this WRT54GX2, the exact same entry is not allowed.

I'll try the alternate IP configuration idea if I cant get this resolved. Let me know if you have any other suggestions.

William

7. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Change your IP scheme.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm curious why you're using 10.x.x.x, instead of 192.168.x.x for the LAN subnet.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/468322

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice