1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway Laptop Freezes during System Restore?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by railcruzr, Oct 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. railcruzr

railcruzr Thread Starter

Does your Gateway Laptop freeze up during system restore? Mine did and after going through many mindboggling senarios, I found a through this forum a way to fix this problem without having to purchase a system restore disk. The thread has timed out but I thought that it was worth mentioning again. I have a Gateway 7340 Laptop that would freeze up during system restore. After calling tech support at Gateway and not getting any help whatsoever, I found this procedure here on the forum through Google. Thanks to Mike for posting this and I am sure this will help others. The problem stems from the SpeedStep in the Bios Setup:

Do these steps to disable SpeedStep in the BIOS Setup Utility and then run System Restore again on your computer.

1. Turn on the computer and begin pressing the F2 key in one-second intervals. If you perform this step correctly, you see the BIOS Setup Utility menu. If Windows loads normally, repeat this step.

2. In the BIOS Setup Utility, press the RIGHT ARROW key to select the Advanced menu.

3. On the Advanced menu, change the Intel SpeedStep setting from Enabled to Disabled.

4. Press the RIGHT ARROW key to select the Exit menu.

5. On the Exit menu, select Save Changes and Exit

6. Restart the computer and run System Restore.

7. After completing the restore, download and install the Critical Update for Windows XP (KB885626) package from the Microsoft Web site.

8. Once the KB885626 package is installed, re-enable Intel SpeedStep in the BIOS Setup Utility.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice