1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway Laptop Power Supply - Battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rockfist45, Oct 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockfist45

rockfist45 Thread Starter

(Dont know if this in right section)
    My mom bought a Gateway Laptop about 5 or 6 months ago and now it doesnt turn on when its plugged in. I have to push the AC adaptor into the laptop and hold it in firmly for it to power on/charge. Is there something wrong with the battery or is it the AC adaptor? If you need any more information just ask.

2. cracken01

cracken01

The pin on the AC adapter seems like it's not making good contact with the power socket on the laptop. So it's either the socket may be loose or warped, or maybe not using correct AC adapter for the laptop (the pin might not be the right length if using an aftermarket AC adapter).

At least that's my 2cents.

3. rockfist45

well it worked perfect for the last 5 months until last night after the rain and thunder. the power adaptor came with the computer and is made by emachines.

4. cracken01

cracken01

Was it plugged in and then there was a power outage?
    Was it still plugged in when the power came back on?

If so, could be it took a power surge when the electricity came back on.

Was it plugged into any kind of surge protector strip or UPS, or direct into a wall outlet?

5. rockfist45

it was plugged into one of those adaptors that turns 2 outlets into 6. i think it was plugged in when there was thunder/lightning storm, does that change anything? Buy i've also been using it a lot so it might just need some time.

6. cracken01

cracken01

This is the part that at first made me think it might be the power socket in the laptop. If it will not charge when you plug in the pin from the AC adapter into the socket WITHOUT you having to hold the pin in there and push it tight, it sure sounds like not making good electrical contact somehow.

Most modern laptops should be able to run off the AC power even if the battery is taken out of the compartment, so if you take out the battery and it acts exactly the same (power light will come on ONLY if you hold the AC adapter pin tight into the socket) that would at least eliminate the battery as a cause (although it would not prove if the battery was still able to hold a good charge or not, that's a different thing).

7. rockfist45

I took out the battery but i still had to hold it in for the light to come on.

8. cracken01

cracken01

The socket must be loose or warped. The electrical contacts must have slight gap, that is compressed when you push the pin in tight.

Is it still under warranty?

If so head on over to

http://support.gateway.com/support/default.asp?cmlid=support_top

Otherwise, take it to somebody with knowledge of how to dissasemble and repair a laptop, or even have Best Buy Geek Squad counter or something look at it, if they are willing to give you an opinion without charging for diagnosis.

9. rockfist45

just found the warranty, but it doesnt cover the charger so i hope its the computer.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/409025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice