1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gateway laptop refuses to boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jimcmorr, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jimcmorr

jimcmorr Thread Starter

I have a Gateway 7210XG Laptop which has worked perfectly since I bought it in January of this year. Until I allowed Norton anti-virus to install new virus definitions and application s/w yesterday morning. That install requested a reboot. I continued what I was doing instead of rebooting right away. When I was done I clicked on OK and the machine shut down. I can't be sure but I think I saw from the corner of my eye a message flash on the screen and it hung up.

Since then I have been unable to boot this machine any way I have tried. And I have tried normally, all flavors of safe mode, last known good, from the HD. I have tried several various bootable CDs. The only one that gets me any where at all is a utility that came with a 160G Western Digital HD I installed on my Dell desktop recently but that does not have a chkdsk utility the only thing that is offered to me is a utility to copy partition to partition.

I found an article on the digitalwebcast web site which seems pretty complete but depends on getting to a command prompt. Which I have so far been unsuccessful in doing.

Can you offer any suggestions to help get this machine going again. I would like to get files off that HD but if that is not possible I would like to reinstall the OS and get this machine going again so I can use it. It is too new and too expensive to consider discarding.

Jim

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That was pretty complete, except that you didn't mention exactly what happens when you try to boot, or how far into the boot process you make it.

3. jimcmorr

jimcmorr Thread Starter

My apologies. And thanks for pointing this out.

If I do a simple boot from the HD the windows logo comes up and the blue progress indicators scroll by several times then they stop and nothing more happens. I have to use the power button (held down several seconds) to turn the machine off. If I chose one of the safe modes it starts loading and displaying messages until it gets to one that mentions \WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\atisgkaf.sys and then stops.

When I use the gateway restore disk (its actually a DVD not a CD) instead of the windows XP logo a Gateway logo appears on a black and white screen and the progress indicators similar to the winXP one, scrolls in a similar fashion several times then stops in the same location as the win XP ones do. Probably a coincidence.

I have tried other win os CDs but I have since learned that most likely none of these are going to work anyway because of the earlier version of windows.

At this point I think I should mention that I had installed SP2 on this machine. I am trying to learn how to create a SP2 recovery CD now. Also I have a working Dell machine with XP in it which I can use to make this recovery CD.

Does that fill in the blanks I left at first?

Jim

4. jimcmorr

jimcmorr Thread Starter

I waited over two weeks for an emergency boot disk (CD). It booted but was no help with the NTFS formatted HD. So I waited another 6 days for an adapter to allow connecting the notebook HD to the Desktop.

In one scenario of safe boot I got a message that the HAL.DLL file was missing or corrupted. With the notebook HD in the desktop machine, I found a copy of the HAL.DLL in the SP2 directory on the notebook HD and overlaid the corrupted version.

When I rebooted the notebook it did not hang. Great, I said! Then it took almost 15 minutes to load all the drivers for the "new" hardware it found. Then I did the registry restore procedure outlined in microsoft document 307545. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545

Now I have a notebook that will boot from the HD but I discover that when I insert a PCMCIA card in the slot the machine hangs up. Now I am wondering if this was the problem to begin with. I never took the card out of the slot and forgot it was in there.

Anyway, this is where I am now, trying to figure out why the card bus slot is not allowing me to load a card. As soon as I eject the card windows unhangs, then the audio acknowledgement of the card being inserted occurs almost simultaneously with the audio acknowledgement that the card has been removed.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I went to Best Buy and found that the card bus controller on a similar notebook there had a IRQ of 10 and mine has an IRQ of 5 which is 'shared' with 4 or 5 other devices. I have not figured out how to change the IRQ of the card bus controller. I have had limited success with changing the RIQ on the other devices but the machine still hangs up when the PCI card is inserted.

Other diagnostic s/w shows the DE660 ethernet card I am trying to use. I think the information comes from the registry somewhere. I have tried this card in another machine and it recognizes it fine. So the card is in good shape.

Could there be something in the registry that could cause this problem? I have used a couple of registry cleaners that have found a few problems but the machine still hangs when the card is inserted.

Is there any diagnostic software (or hardware) that will help find what is causeing this problem?

Jim

5. jimcmorr

jimcmorr Thread Starter

Gateway email tech support gave up on this and the machine is on its way to be repaired by them on warrantee. Surprised me, I didn't think I had warrantee coverage because I bot it from a private individual. See how they manage with it.

Jim

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Thanks for the update. I wish them luck.

7. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

even an ntfs partition can be removed with fdisk on a 98se bootdisk, then created /formatted fat32 and when you do the install from the restore cd.

but why is the the restore cd on a dvd? where's the original restore cd?

i'm surprised that it would copy but not surprised that it doesn't work.

you can't just use any old restore cd on any old computer. they're proprietary for that machine.

you're lucky that they'll cover it as a warranty item. :eek:

8. jimcmorr

jimcmorr Thread Starter

It would appear that Gateway provided a DVD with restore software on it instead of a normal CD because the machine has a DVD/CD drive. The reason nothing would boot was that the HAL.DLL file was trashed. Once I had restored that using the desk top computer I was then able to boot the laptop but the problem with the PCMCIA card remained. I think it was related to registry problems but no one could help me find out what that problem was. The issue is moot now because Gateway has it now.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/383620

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice