Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gateway Laptop shuts off unexpectedly

26K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  aka Brett 
#1 ·
My Gateway T-1625 PC notebook keeps on shutting off on its own after about 20 minutes. When i give it a rest and boot it back up, it stil shuts down after about that amount of time.... and sometimes in even less time. I am afraid it will crash or perhaps it is missing a key component in the registry? Please help. I'd like some good advice on what I should do. :(

OS NAME: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
VERSION: 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6
OTHER OS DESCRIPTION: Not Available
OS MANUFACTURER: Microsoft Corporation
SYSTEM MANUFACTURER: Gateway
SYSTEM MODEL: T-1625
SYSTEM TYPE: X86-based PC
PROCESSOR: AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS VERSION/DATE: Gateway 90.02, 02/08/2007
SMBIOS VERSION: 2.4
MEMORY (RAM) : 2.00GB

#2 ·
I think the unit may be over heating.
Is the fan blowing out hot air?
Do videos make it shut down?

Go to this link install the application and post back the temps for the cpu

You will have to refresh once in a while unless you go into the settings and have it refresh by a preset time.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

#3 ·
Yes my laptop over summer shuts down when I have too much happening. Video games were the worst for overheating and suddenly switching off. Even my mouse pad stopped working when the weather got exceptionally hot. If you live in a warm climate you will have to live with the problem but there are steps you can take.

I set the portable airconditioning a couple of feet away to blow directly into the fan area which helped a little. Turning the monitor brightness to 100% will overheat very quickly. 50-70% is a still adequate depending on the time of day.

If the computer is older than 12 months cleaning the cooling fan will help to give you more time. There are some good guides on the net for doing it yourself with compressed air. But makes sure you read up on how to do it properly.

You could do an entire maintenence of the system:
Disk cleanup
Defrag
Deleting unused programs
Turning off services you don't need
Removing startup programs you don't need
Changing the settings for best performance rather than best appearance
Turn off Vista Aero if you have that running
Freeing space on your hard disk
Running a virus scan
Buying more ram to stop the strain on your system

#5 ·
Thats kinda hot..I am not sure if the temp is high enough reach auto shut down of the unit..but you do have a cooling issue
I am attaching a small application named superpi
Unzip it open the folder and run the file named application.
Then go to the top and hit the calculate menu
Calculate to 1 million
We want to see what the temps reach during the calculation
So open the other tool I had you install previously and have it monitor the temps during the superpi run
be sure to refresh every 3 or 4 seconds with the hardware tool if you dont have it set to auto refresh.

Post back the highest temp reached during the superpi calculation.

What this test will do is test the cpu temps while leaving video out of the testing.

Have you ever cleaned the fins off through the exhaust with canned air and a straw?

Do you have a mag light to look through the exhaust...you can often see the fins..if you look at them at the correct angle you can see lint collected in between the fins...the clog however is actually on the backside...but the light often helps.

Also many times on the bottom you can actually see the fan..again the mag light helps a bunch,,many times the fan will have lint on it...breaking the natural "blade shape" with lint hampering flow alot.

Many times we man run an application that sets our power profile to always on or high performance.
This is not good for a laptop...you want the setting of balanced...The cpu will kick up when needed and not run full bore all the time.

Attachments

#7 ·
Thats to hot
What you can do until you can clean it is
Go to control panel
power options
change plan settings{for balanced}
Advanced power settings
scroll to the processor power management
maximum processor state

Set to 50 percent.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.