1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gateway laptop smoking!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by redsox123, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redsox123

redsox123 Thread Starter

My gateway m-6843 laptop was smoking. This happened when i plug the charger in it. It started sparking so i took the charger out. I pluged it back in the next day and it started smoking. Took the charger out and left it alone for a while. Turn it on and it said check cpu fan. I checked the fan and turned it back on. The laptop turned on then the battery went dead. Tryed charging it and it wont charge. Its not smoking anymore but it smells. Dont know what is wrong with it. PLEASE HELP!!!

2. vicks

vicks

Welcome to TSG forums.
    How old is the laptop? if a year or less, contact Gateway because the warranty should take care of it.
    Vicks

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I wouldn't try using it anymore, it could potentially start a fire if its been smoking. Remove the battery and unplug the charger from the wall. Then either take it in for professional repair, warranty service, or disposal.

4. redsox123

redsox123 Thread Starter

My laptop is a little over a year old. I got it on august of 2008

5. Bernardo

Bernardo

Do you have an extended warranty per chance?

6. Compiler

Compiler

If out of warranty... its a loss. Sparks and smoke are a rare and very bad thing.

The most you an hope for is that YOU have backups or you buy an external USB drive case for the HD (about $10) so you can retrieve your data.

It can be replaced with a $400~600 computer. Otherwise you're looking at about $100~200 in labor, $270~330 for the motherboard. The CPU and RAM are most likely shot... so plan about $120~160 on top of that... so about $500~600 in parts & labor. If the PSU or battery caused the damage *or* were damaged by the notebook, then you're adding about $100 for the battery and $50~70 for the charger.

ouch

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919235

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice