Solved Gateway M305CRV laptop: Operating system not found

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lonewolf78

CPU: Celeron
1.24GB ram

I have my laptop running 24/7 to operate a program, and just now I glanced at it and it said the stuff about "operating system not found". I tried powering it off and all of the lights across the top started blinking. It was also pretty hot. I unplugged it and took the battery out which cleared the lights, but it still shows the message. The hard drive is listed in the BIOS when I checked it.

Is it the end of the road for this laptop? Luckily I don't have anything important on it.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Most likely the hard drive is bad. They don't last forever, and seeing as you said it's getting hot, there may be an overheating issue that contributed to the issue as well.

lonewolf78

Most likely the hard drive is bad. They don't last forever, and seeing as you said it's getting hot, there may be an overheating issue that contributed to the issue as well.
Took it to the computer guy and yep, hard drive is toast. He said it would be better to get another laptop, but I have another plan. I just bought a used hard drive for it for $19, and I'm wondering if I can use the XP installation disc for this computer on it?

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Yea. If you still have the XP CD , plug in the new hard drive and then put the CD into the drive

Upon booting, select the CD drive as the boot source. You may need to press a certain key like F10 or DEL or F12.

I do want to bring to light his other point. That laptop IS very old now and it would be beneficial to simply replace it.

But that's your choice.

lonewolf78

Yea. If you still have the XP CD , plug in the new hard drive and then put the CD into the drive

Upon booting, select the CD drive as the boot source. You may need to press a certain key like F10 or DEL or F12.

I do want to bring to light his other point. That laptop IS very old now and it would be beneficial to simply replace it.

But that's your choice.
Well I got the new drive and Windows installed, but I've got a problem: I just realized I don't have the product key for my copy of XP. It wasn't put on my computer by the one who built it (which means If this computer has to be redone i can't do it). The laptop has an XP key, but it doesn't work. Now what?

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
There's NO XP COA on the computer anywhere? Did you check under the battery? Or under the RAM door?

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
The only way I know of is to run a keyfinder from within windows but it would need to be done on the old drive. Sorry. I'm not sure what else to advise you

lonewolf78

The hard drive on the computer I'm typing on is the one the XP disc was first installed on.

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
Right the new drive you purchased not the old one. You would need to be able to boot with the OLD HARD DRIVE installed and then run a keyfinder program to pull the COA from the registry. I don't personally know of any other methods to retrieve it myself, unfortunately.

lonewolf78

Right the new drive you purchased not the old one. You would need to be able to boot with the OLD HARD DRIVE installed and then run a keyfinder program to pull the COA from the registry. I don't personally know of any other methods to retrieve it myself, unfortunately.
It worked. I D/L'd Win Keyfinder and got the product key off this computer. Typed it in on the laptop and it accepted it.:)

metallica5456

Andrew
Trusted Advisor
AWESOME!!!

So with that being said, does that mean you are good to go, as you have reinstalled Windows and successfully activated it. Do you have any further questions regarding this issue? If not, please kindly mark your thread as solved by using the button at the top of the page.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online